My small collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
ElieEstephane

Re: My small collection

Post by ElieEstephane »

Then i might have myself a few fruits in spring :lol: i used to hate M. Karwinskiana but it grew on me slowly since last spring and random fruits would surely be a plus!
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 pm Then i might have myself a few fruits in spring :lol: i used to hate M. Karwinskiana but it grew on me slowly since last spring and random fruits would surely be a plus!
Please, tell me you still have talked to it gently despite of your hate. :lol: Mine seems to be so sensitive for bad talk, so I was thinking if all of this species are or is it just this individual plant.
Or maybe they need to be maltreated to grow at all? I remember you told in one of your posts you had fiercely neglected karwinskianas and then they flowered? Maybe now yours need bad talk to fruit? :-k
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Pompom wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 am I remember you told in one of your posts you had fiercely neglected karwinskianas and then they flowered? Maybe now yours need bad talk to fruit? :-k
Yes my karwinskianas were very neglected and they probably just survived to spite me! This goes to show how strong they are. I had almost completely ripped their roots off and left them unpotted for 2 weeks in hot weather and they doubled in size! So when you do repot yours, be sure to give it a large enough container.
As for the fruit, im gonna put my karwinskianas next to my other flowering and fruiting plants and give them the shame talk. Look what your cousins are doing while you just sit there doing nothing all day!
Pompom wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 am Mine seems to be so sensitive for bad talk, so I was thinking if all of this species are or is it just this individual plant.
I remember i read a study somewhere that plants are aware of their surroundings (other than humidity, temperature...) and that they respond to stress. There were a infinitesmial chemical changes when the plant was slapped (i know :lol: ) and subjected to other offenses.
So yeah yours might be an oversensitive prick :-k
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

I told in other thread the Spring-Winter is coming. It came and weather outside is as beautiful I remembered! Sun is out, sky is clear, everywhere is just beautiful. When the clouds are not there, it becomes so cold. Today is over -20c cold, I'd love to go for a walk and take pictures of our nature but it's too darn cold to take mittens off more than three minutes... I took you pictures from our balcony and maybe some day I have courage to go for a walk and take more pictures. Today is not the day, I think I'm going for sauna tonight to get warm and maybe the sauna will warm up the apartment too a little.
Spring is coming for sure! Sun is going to win again. The sun has a mind boosting effect after three dark months it wasn't visible at all.
20180202_110.jpg
20180202_110.jpg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
20180202_114.jpg
20180202_114.jpg (128.86 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
20180202_127.jpg
20180202_127.jpg (156.55 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

I googled finland in winter and in spring . It looks amazing!
So please do post some pictures when there's no risk of you looking like this :lol:
14ebf18f241997938397d12a62b41865.jpg
14ebf18f241997938397d12a62b41865.jpg (19.76 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:47 pm I googled finland in winter and in spring . It looks amazing!
So please do post some pictures when there's no risk of you looking like this
I'll try to remember! Not gonna happen in a month though, this morning we got a nice little -27 degrees celcius outside. If clouds don't come to cover the sky, we should get the -30 degrees soon. The sun doesn't stay that long in the sky so it has no effect to temperatures yet. But days are longer every day, so eventually the sun wins the battle and we don't have to struggle anymore.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Pompom wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:20 pm The sun doesn't stay that long in the sky so it has no effect to temperatures yet. But days are longer every day, so eventually the sun wins the battle and we don't have to struggle anymore.
Feels very Game of thrones-y :lol: Next thing you know you'll be photographing dragons
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:06 pm The last plant is some kind of aloe or a aloe hybrid. I really don't know if it survives or not but it sure is part of my collection at the moment.
I have one of those, and it was identified by a member here at this form as a Gastrolea bedinghausii.
20180205_183650-1024x768.jpg
20180205_183650-1024x768.jpg (150.47 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
Involve your husband in your collection. Let him see how much you love them. And when he relents, once, do something very... Mmmmm... special for him. He'll change his mind real quick like.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

Found a new one for my collection. It was labelled to be a ”cactus with terracotta pot”... terracotta pot without draining holes, cactus is in a plastic pot. Under a hammer the terracotta goes!
There were many others too and I had hard time to pick just one. Picked one, bought it, outside of the store the cactus fell off from its roots and revealed it has rotted. Took it back and had to pick another one. So here I am, proud to have one more, not as pretty as the first one I picked.
It has been watered :evil: Should I repot it asap, remove the wet soil, let it dry couple of days before putting in the new fresh soil? I'll post picture to the cacti ID topic soon. If I should repot it, I will post picture with roots here!
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Yes it will probably need a repot. It could be okay but i personally wouldn't risk it.
As for the terracotta pot, don't throw it away. You can use anything to punch a hole at the bottom of those terracotta cups cacti come in. Or you can use a drill (vibrating drill is faster) if your husband or the neighbours have one.
As an EMT, we use this tool to break the windows if someone is trapped in car. I find it so much faster than using a drill. Just one punch and you have a cicular hole!
Attachments
20180207_154209-1200x1600.jpg
20180207_154209-1200x1600.jpg (66.67 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

You can use those to do that?! That's cool.
I'm not going to throw the pot away, just going to use is as filling of the soil or make hole to the bottom. Well yeah, why wouldn't I try, if it breaks while trying to make a hole, that's ok too.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

The tip of scissors with some pressure and rotation will get the job done too
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Pompom wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:25 am... I'd love to go for a walk and take pictures of our nature but it's too darn cold
I don't know about anybody else, but I would love to see pictures of your country in the winter time. Anything that you can bear to do I will gladly see. I would revel in 10 or 15 or 20 pictures, but if you can only bear to stay out long enough to take two, then I will be glad to see those also.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
7george

Post by 7george »

Cold is manageable. Hope days are sunny even short there and not so gray and murky like in TV show "The Bridge" that is in Sweden. Keep cacti dormant if no artificial lights. Then in June should be the opposite -- sun almost don't go under the horizon. I've lived some time in northern Russia at 61 degr. and remember this.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

7george wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:43 am Cold is manageable. Hope days are sunny even short there and not so gray and murky like in TV show "The Bridge" that is in Sweden. Keep cacti dormant if no artificial lights. Then in June should be the opposite -- sun almost don't go under the horizon. I've lived some time in northern Russia at 61 degr. and remember this.
Yeah, cold is manageable. And kind of attitude question. The weather is depressing and dark from November to January, when the Sun doesn't show at all. Usually by then it's cloudy, but also some days with clear sky. From February it slowly gets sunnier and brighter, everyday is slightly longer than day before.
You're correct saying the sun doesn't set in summer (in north at least, I'm not sure about southern Finland, never lived there). In Finland we have a celebration called Juhannus, Midsummer. That's a day when the sun doesn't set at all, and stays up all night. Traditionally people go for a sauna and for better sauna experience tie up some birch branches (banny venik) and then hit themselves with those while in sauna. Sounds stupid, right? :lol: And then there is a tradition to light large bonfires in evening. There is also some kind of traditional Midsummer magic tricks, promising to make love better or something, which I'm not familiar with. In real life, most people just drink and have fun with friends and family.
I believe in Russia is much hotter weather in summer than in Finland. Sometimes we get airflow from Russia and that's warm and hot, but that's not what happens every summer or if happened, not for long. Hopefully next summer is better than last couple summers. One year we had snow by the end of June... Old folks say, cold winters foreshadow warm summers. Fingers crossed they are right!