In From the Cold

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: In From the Cold

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:20 am... What is your ambient temperature for it? Mine probably feels quite cold cause I'm trying to keep cacti around that shelf dormant in winter
I'm not exactly sure where I read it, but remember that I warned you that I read something that said Pachypodium are not very cold tolerant. It may be this site below, I can't remember, but there's an excellent article at davesgarden.com... Crimminy, now I have to go look for it. Hold on for a second... Ok, I'm back. I was right. Go read this article... Very informative...
https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/539/

Remember... Watch your temperatures for your Pachypodium. This page says that the minimum temperatures are between 13 and 15 degrees Centigrade which is 55 to 59 Fahrenheit. Again, an excellent article that's very informative. Lots of very useful information.
http://www.seedsplants.com/en/Pachypodium-en.htm
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
7george

Post by 7george »

I know about Pachypodiums being warm lovers but don't have a greenhouse. That's why I stopped growing Adeniums and gave mane to a friend that worked in a big state greenhouse.
I hope in summer will get hotter even here almost never goes above 31 C and just for a day or so and night minimums are about 10 - 12 C even in July or August. And I'll not turn my house into GH cause will be too hot for me to live. So I need mountain species mainly that will feel OK when it's cool or moderately warm. 8)

I've just checked temps around those plants: 17 C and maybe cooler at night. Cloudy and snowing outside and these just dropping leaves.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

7george wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:04 pm... And I'll not turn my house into GH cause will be too hot for me to live.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you about that... With old age comes a sensitivity to temperature, and i, now at 65, cannot bear for it to get above 23C... Max. And prefer something like 21C even better. So my plants will just have ro live with that... and they seem to have done OK with that... look at my flowering Pachypodium! :D
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a