Some early new growth on a few Cacti

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Harrison

Some early new growth on a few Cacti

Post by Harrison »

Here we are in the middle of February and a handful of plants have already started growing a little bit. It seems a bit early as it still gets in the low 30s at night here, but we've had a few days where it got as high as 74F. From what I've read some of the Mammillaria types will flower in winter so I guess this isn't too unusual, but I thought it was neat that the flowers now make a complete ring around this cactus. A couple of different Cylindropuntia types have also started some new stems, and one Santa Rita Opuntia looks to be sprouting some new pads. I hope all this new growth survives the rest of winter!
Attachments
Chain Fruit Cholla.jpg
Chain Fruit Cholla.jpg (117.94 KiB) Viewed 962 times
Santa Rita.jpg
Santa Rita.jpg (97.13 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Flowering Mamm.jpg
Flowering Mamm.jpg (124.08 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Cholla new growth.jpg
Cholla new growth.jpg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Last edited by Harrison on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ElieEstephane

Re: Some early new growth on a few Cacti

Post by ElieEstephane »

You have a lovely collection. I've been looking forever for a santa rita [-(
I've had some new growth on opuntia fincus indica and microdasys. The agaves never stopped growing, but at a much slower pace
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Harrison

Re: Some early new growth on a few Cacti

Post by Harrison »

Well thank you Elie, it's fun to see them grow! Santa Rita is available all over where I live, I guess sending plants or even cuttings to other countries is a big hassle? I was at Poot's House of Cactus in Ripon earlier today and they have at least half of a table of them unsold! When it gets a little warmer out they will even be available at the big box stores...