Any Cacti Nurseries in the Houston Area

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Minime8484

Re: Any Cacti Nurseries in the Houston Area

Post by Minime8484 »

desertlove wrote:The Cactus King-
I think it has become more than apparent NOT to order anything online from this place. Go in person or not at all.
Most definitely - the most horrible online experience I've ever had with the most appalling customer service imaginable; owner is rude, defensive, and evasive. Avoid this place like the plague if you are considering an online order. And. it is clear they're learning nothing in the process as the order I placed was only last month...and PayPal is now investigating them.
Shame on me for not doing more searches for reviews of this nursery business, but hopefully, no one will make that mistake again.
CactusJordi

Post by CactusJordi »

Sorry for you, but what a comfort to me that this happened to a friend also. What actually did you find of interest in his meager offerings?

Jordi
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

In particular, I was interested in Arthrocereus melanurus. I ordered two - one for myself and one for a friend who was also interested in the species. Ironically enough, those were the ONLY two plants that arrived as advertised! So, at least there is that!
I'm also very interested in Haageocereus, so ordered H. chosicensis & H. bicolor. Both arrived as cuttings (one w/ a black base). Although the former looks good for that species, the latter is not a valid name and it doesn't look at all like a Haageocereus (it didn't in the picture either, but I ordered anyhow) - not sure what it is.
Maybe I'll get lucky and get those two to root successfully. :-k
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Good news - the PayPal dispute process worked like a charm, and PayPal found in my favor. My refund posted to my account immediately, and PayPal will be going directly to Cactus King for the money. Good to know the PayPal dispute/resolution process is effective.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

wow sorry to hear about how that went badly. Sounds like a crappy company. And BTW their return policy is crap. I wouldnt send them a dime.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Minime8484 wrote:Good news - the PayPal dispute process worked like a charm, and PayPal found in my favor. My refund posted to my account immediately, and PayPal will be going directly to Cactus King for the money. Good to know the PayPal dispute/resolution process is effective.
I didn't have to go as far as you did, it took three weeks and dozens of email to complete my order even though they were cuttings instead of rooted plants.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

desertlove wrote: We got a 9 foot San Pedro for around 100 bucks. He cut it for us and helped us pack it into our car and answered all of our questions.
That seems a bit steep to me....
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

I saw one that was 9 inches unrooted for 30 bucks.. I think that the whole craze of growing and "ingesting" certain cacti is making people stupid enough to pay way too much money for them..
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think this guy is a good source:

http://www.trichocereus.com/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've exchanged e-mails with him. He is a bit scatterbrained (too much San Pedro?), but a very friendly chap.
Peterthecactusguy

for the prices he is paying I could make around a billion dollars off of San Pedros if I cut off all the arms on them and propagated them all. In like 5 years I could have thousands of them.. lol

124.00 for one years worth of growth give or take..? seriously?
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Woah! My mistake! I find his website very confusing and did not find the prices on the first time around.

I agree - too expensive!

Maybe you should go into the San Pedro business Peter.
Peterthecactusguy

lol Daiv, if I could sell the plants for those prices I would. :) I mean it wouldn't be my fault if people weren't smart enough to do the research right?
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

I have done on-line ordering from Cactus King and have been only 50% satisfied. It seems like they treat on-line orders as second class citizens and will send any slop they will not sell in theirstore. I really wanted Echinocereus Trigs, however the plants I recieved were barely rooted cuttings with many deep lesions. I really wanted a Leuchanbergia principi the 4 inch pot version from them was less than 1 inch barely a seedling. They have a nice collection of exotic Agaves, howevre the gallon size plants I ordered were what other vendors sold as 4 inch pots. However a few plants such as Echinocactus texeinensis and Consuella falcata were wonderful specimens. Perhaps if you go there cash in hand they may treat you better Bobby Z