Albuca care for the summer...

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
TimN

Albuca care for the summer...

Post by TimN »

I bought an Albuca circinata x spiralis last fall and got it through the winter and even got flowers.

Now what? Do they go completely dormant in summer?

Right now, the flower stalks are drying up and there doesn't seem to be any new leaf growth. It looks to me like it wants to rest for a while.

Do all the leaves fall off?

Any help is appreciated!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Yes, all of the leaves fall off. I've had success with a once a month light watering. One summer no water at all and I lost 1/2 of the bulbs of about 30.
Buck Hemenway
C And D

Post by C And D »

Keep them in the shade, with light watering every two weeks or so
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
TimN

Post by TimN »

Excellent! I'll put it on a shady shelf and water sparingly!

Thanks all!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

We'll have to compare... I too just got an Albuca for the first time, and now it's going dormant. Let's race! :lol:
TimN

Post by TimN »

You're on! First one with a dead plant LOSES! :lol:

Tim
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

Well I was just going for dormant...but I guess dead works too! Wait...no! But really you'll have to let me know when yours gets around to being actually dormant so we can compare dormancy times. That way I can have yet another thing to worry about (Oh my goodness my opuntia are still dormant, my baobab won't come out of dormancy, my albuca refuses to be dormant and the cholla just ate the neighbor!)