Oncidium papilio . . .

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Cereusly

Oncidium papilio . . .

Post by Cereusly »

My Oncidium papilio 'Butterfly Orchid' is in bloom again with more buds, spike and new growth on the way. :D Tony
Oncidium papilio plant and flowers
peter

Post by peter »

Outstanding plant! :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That is an excellent flower - you sure are doing a good job with these.

How do you care for your Orchids?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:love7: LOVE Orchids, there such beautiful plants..
Stunning bloom Tony.. :wink: Come to think of it i know there are some small orchids that do really well in a grow chamber with Highland Nepenthes. I think someday i will look into them i have plenty of room in my grow chamber. :P
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
Cereusly

Post by Cereusly »

Tracey, you might like to try the Disa and the Masdevallia orchids in your grow chamber. The Masdevallias are my favorite orchids, and have had some success with them in the past, but they are cool growers (High Andes) and they just don't do well in the dry San Jose weather most of the year. I also can grow the tropical pitcher plant Nepenthes, but they really need high humidity to be at their best, so they required daily misting that wore me out. And, most of the carnivores don't really like tap water. Rain or distilled water works best, but this is not carved in stone. Check out this California Carnivores website http://www.californiacarnivores.com . I've visted this place a few times, and always find something new I want to take home. Daiv, as for my Oncidium papilio, I grow it indoors in an all day sunny room, I mist the plant weekly with a quarter strenght epiphytes delight plant food from Tropiflora in Florida, and keep the bark on the dry side. They get a thorough watering one a month and keep a shallow level of water in the saucer. They sell the above mentioned plant food at Home Depot with the Bromeliads. http://www.tropiflora.com . Tony
GardenBed

Post by GardenBed »

I love orchids! Nice picture.
Cereusly

Post by Cereusly »

GardenBed, you might like this Paphiopedilum delanatii 'Christmas Rose' that bloomed last year. So far this year a lot of new growth. I grow this one outdoors in the shade, and indoors come November. Tony
Paphiopedilum delanatii 'Christmas Rose'
jeffrey6115

Post by jeffrey6115 »

Glad to see others have wide ranging plant tastes as well. I love my orchids. I grow mostly Cattleyas and Oncidiums. Love the Papillios!! :love10: I'm not looking forward to fall when all the plants have to go back in the greenhouse. It's like a new puzzel every year to get them all to fit. :D
Jeff Johnson
Rockhall, MD
GardenBed

Post by GardenBed »

Cereusly wrote:GardenBed, you might like this Paphiopedilum delanatii 'Christmas Rose' that bloomed last year. So far this year a lot of new growth. I grow this one outdoors in the shade, and indoors come November. Tony
Paphiopedilum delanatii 'Christmas Rose'
Yes, fantastic. My buddy also possesses one of those and they bloom beautifully.