Where to buy pumice

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
bobfnbarker

Where to buy pumice

Post by bobfnbarker »

The greenhouse next to me doesn't carry pumice right now, just wondering where you can get some quality horticultural pumice (either online or in-store)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Bob,
I just replied to your other post.

Pumice is great stuff, but availability is very localized. Primarily in the Western U.S. Since it is rock, it would be expensive to ship it. This is why we often suggest substitutes such as perlite, grit, or expanded clay. Of those, the best is the expanded clay.

The easiest way to obtain expanded clay is to buy a bag of (the right kind of) cat litter. I know you rejected that idea in the other post so you could go to a Home Depot or other Garden Center and buy "Auquatic Plant Soil", which is the same thing with a different label.

If you still don't want to use expanded clay, then you can also pick up perlite at pretty much any garden center. This stuff works great, but because it is so light weight, it tends to "float" to the top of the pot when you water.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
bobfnbarker

Post by bobfnbarker »

Found pumice online. Let me know if you need the link
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Please do post the link, I'm curious what shipping costs are on it.
bobfnbarker

Post by bobfnbarker »

iann

Post by iann »

Not exactly cheap, but that's for you to decide ;) Shipping appears to be $5.50 plus 99c per pound? Hence $7.48 for a quart of pumice. Ouch! I'm sure I remember someone shipping pumice, I think from eBay, in the standard rate postal boxes that worked out quite reasonable.
--ian
iann

Post by iann »

I just noticed a sponsored link for the British Cactus & Succulent Society on that Amazon page. You might not see depending on how smart Amazon is at targetting its ads.
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think a key factor is how many plants you are working with. I think you are working with one plant so getting a small amount of pumice isn't crazy expensive and makes sense. For the amount that I use, I just couldn't afford it.

In any case, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) I get my pumice from ebay.. :D
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
TimN

Post by TimN »

TurfaceMVP is available at most irrigation supply houses. It's calcined clay (expanded clay) and works great. I pay about $26 for 50 pounds. It is exactly the same as what is sold as Aquatic Plant Soil.

The Amazon pumice is $1/pound plus shipping. Turface is just over $.50/pound and you pick it up yourself.

Google "turfaceMVP", go to their website, they have a dealer locator.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
MildBill

Post by MildBill »

Most of the folks I know here in Texas use expanded shale which is not a clay product. It is heat treated shale and is very commonly available at about $8.00 per 50 pound bag. Good stuff. Another name for it is hadite.
vlani

Post by vlani »

You need to shop around more Tim. I just got another 4 bags and payed a bit over $50 - that is half of what they charge you. Used to be around $8 a bag before gas prices went up
Aquatic soil is more expensive - it is washed.
bobfnbarker

Post by bobfnbarker »

Found another reliable-looking source:

http://www.plantitearth.com/soil-medium ... umice.aspx
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I agree, nice web site - looks like a solid business.

I put in a Minnesota address and ground shipping on the 4 quart bag is $13.23. So a total delivered price of $16.23 for 4 quarts. This comes out to $4.05 per quart.

When I lived in CA, I could by a 1 cubic foot bag for $9.99 + 7.75% tax == $10.74/cuft. This is equivelent to 25.7 dry quarts and the price comes out to $0.42 per quart.

That is almost 10 (9.643) times more expensive to have it shipped!

This is why I warned of the costs above and suggested an alternative product such as expanded clay.

But again, if you are just going to pot one plant or two, $16 isn't the end of the world. If your collection grows (like it usually does!), then pummice quickly become too costly. Of course, if money is no object, it might be best to find an ITO and pay him $2-$3K to haul back 50 yards of the stuff! :o
vlani

Post by vlani »

I actually like Turface better that pumice. Pumice peaces brake apart too easily. Turface also has perfect sized granules - to my taste.