Contest 41: Discussion and related photos

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Schumel wrote,
Tony, is your E engelmannii photo from the Teddy Bear Cholla garden in Joshua Tree?
Yes, that clump looks to be right in the center of the teddy bear forest.
I cant think of a safer place. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

More excellent submissions. Mildbil - I really like that Coryphanta. What an amazing story. It must think it is growing in the crack of a big rock or something. Pefectly happy coming out the side.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
MildBill

C. Missouriensis

Post by MildBill »

Thanks Daiv. My dad planted it many years ago and my mother gave it to me after he passed away in 1979. It has been in the same pot all this time, left outside, and never been fertilized.
Bill
peterb

Post by peterb »

That is definitely an awesome missouriensis!

peterb
Zone 9
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

i like the gymnocalicium damsii it looks cool
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Tony,

What are the yellow-spined columnars in the back of your M. elongata clump? I have a cluster of plants that looks very much like them (not a true clump) and they were tentatively identified as a yellow spined form of Haageocereus vericolor. They are currently about 1 1/2 - 2 inch diameter and about 24 inches high. I never was fully comfortable with their ID.
Looking at them, though, maybe they are not so close...

Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
peterb

Post by peterb »

those are beautiful plants, but definitely not Haageocereus. I think they are Weberbauerocereus johnsonii.

I'm generally with Daiv: an ID involving Haageocereus should be a very rare event indeed. The plants are extremely rare in cultivation.

peterb
Zone 9
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

I hear it Peter. Maybe I'll post my other "Haageocereus" in the ID forum and see what happens. : )

Shmuel
Amazing cacti!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

peterb wrote: I'm generally with Daiv: an ID involving Haageocereus should be a very rare event indeed. The plants are extremely rare in cultivation.
Ahh yes!! I've got an ally!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tony

Post by Tony »

Shmuel,
I believe it is Pilosocereus lanuginosus, Im still waiting for flowers to confirm that, but its deffinatly different than what you have.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Lee

how come??

Post by Lee »

I just think these photo contests are great to get and see the different and beautiful looking plants that are around. I am not crying or being sarcastic and speaking for myself but how can people in this latest contest compete with entries that are not from their own personal collections?? I beleive that there should be a more specific plan to some of these contests and state weather they are from personal collections or out in the wild or greenhouse grown What do ya think just my two cents

caution. don't drink beer and play with spines on the same day!
Lee P
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

I definitely agree with Lee that nothig I have is going to be anywhere near the league of the habitat plants. Perhaps there could be two categories: domestic and wild. But I don't want to get too complicated. The contests are great regardless and even though I don't think I stand a chance in this one I still want to enter just for fun.

Shmuel
Amazing cacti!
iann

Post by iann »

Its hard to get a habitat shot as good as one taken in your own greenhouse that you can stage again and again until it is stunning. The habitat plant might be bigger but it might also be an ugly mess.
--ian
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

And many people do not have access to plants in the wild.
Amazing cacti!
iann

Post by iann »

Yes, very hard for me to get a good habitat cactus shot ;) I could dig out some old ones, but I bet there's nothing really good.

We do have some native succulents in Britain (not many!) as well as a few naturalised ones, but they're not exactly impressive for the most part.
--ian