a pointless lament

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
peterb

a pointless lament

Post by peterb »

Seed raising corollary of Murphy's Law:

The most desirable, unusual and hard to find species are also the ones with low germination.

For example: out of 15 Neolloydia matehualensis seeds, two seedlings. Ancistrocactus brevihamatus pallidus: 2. Echinomastus hispidus: 2. Maihuenia patagonica: 1. Austrocactus bertinii: 1.

It puts me on pins and needles, for years. It's a completely different enterprise, nursing one tiny plant to adulthood. It's not like starting out with 15 seedlings and getting 1 to flowering size.

peterb
Zone 9
RobR

Post by RobR »

I feel your pain Peter. I have a little better luck on the ancistro. I got some seed from Sul Ross about 3 yrs ago. 8 or so plants are flowering, should get at least 100 seed.
iann

Post by iann »

I think the law is actually that the more care and attention you lavish on a pot of seeds, the worse it will do ;)
--ian
peterb

Post by peterb »

well, we could come up with a whole list of seed raising laws. I like your reality as a general law (the success of seedlings is inversely proportional to the care lavished on them). I still think my corollary is a good stand alone rule as well.

Rob, cool to hear someone is actively raising flowering plants of pallidus apart from the Sul Ross crew.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Peter,
Then you have guys like me who kill "easy" species from seed. #-o

Maybe, I should get the realy "hard" ones and find out that I'm good with those! :o
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

OK now I'm intrigued, who is Sul Ross?
At any rate, it's sad when I get two out of a hundred of something I really want, but conversely, when I get 40 of something tough or scarce, I wonder how I'm going to care for them all.
8 is a perfect number.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Sul Ross University, in Alpine, Texas. Part of the Texas university system, home to Del Weniger, years ago, and A. Michael Powell and Martin Terry these days, cactus researchers extraordinaire. They are the primary stewards of A. brevihamatus var. pallidus, or were until quite recently.

peterb
Zone 9
MildBill

Post by MildBill »

Yes, Peter, I think Sul Ross is sort of like the cactus Vatican. They also have a wonderful cactus garden and greenhouse.

How were you able to get seeds from them? Several years ago I bought one of their plants from CDRI. It is a brevahamatus X pallidus and at ten years old is a very nice specimen. I have crossed it back with a true brevahamatus and now have a pot full of year old seedlings from that cross.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Bill, I got the seeds from Mesa Garden. They started offering it a couple years ago, I think.

peterb
Zone 9