Many questions about Eriosyce subgibbosa, Eriosice chilensis

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
vbueno

Many questions about Eriosyce subgibbosa, Eriosice chilensis

Post by vbueno »

Many questions about Eriosyce subgibbosa, Eriosice chilensis and similar plants.

This year again flourish Eriosyce subgibbosa (I think ssp. suggibbosa).

A close-up of flowers:

It also begins to bloom this plant that looks like subgibbosa, but like flowers chilensis.

Here the two together.

Here is a picture (last year) of this plant with an chilensis (the left)

Here two Eriosyce with fine spines that seem to me chilensis, but I'm not sure.

Here a Eriosyce chilensis albidiflora:

And here's another that seems to Eriosyce chilensis albidiflora, but I do not know what it is.

I am very grateful for your help.

greetings.
Vicent
iann

Post by iann »

Eriosyce subgibbosa always has classic Neoporteria flowers, purple with pale bases, with the central petals closed into a tube, and staying open all day and night.

If it looks like a Neoporteria flower but has the central petals open then it is E. chilensis. E. chilensis is very varied both in its flowers and the body appearance. The flowers can be completely purple, purple with a pale base to the petals, or very pale, and they may or may not close at night. All your confusing plants could easily be E. chilensis.

E. taltalensis can also have flowers of the same purple colour but is usually easier to spot. It does not have the characteristic white base to the petals and the flowers close at night.
--ian
vbueno

Post by vbueno »

Thanks Iann.

You're very kind.

My Chilean friend expert in Eriosyce also told me they were chilensis.

Here he have photographing a subgibbosa.

And here a taltalensis.

Regards

Vicent
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Vicent,
Those plants of yours are very beautiful. Really neat to see the habitat photos too. That is your friend and not you in the picture, is that right?

Sorry I can't offer info about these to go along with Ian. I am still learning about this group myself. Juan (Spiniflores) posts on occasion. He often has good feedback on these too.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Jens

Post by Jens »

Quote: Here two Eriosyce with fine spines that seem to me chilensis, but I'm not sure.

Hi Vicent
These might be varieties of E. heinrichiana (ssp intermedia v. intermedia), the one with the greener epidermis could olso match E. heinrichiana ssp. simulans - but has very short spines for simulans.
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

very nice picture both habitat and the others
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Those habitat pictures are cool.

your plants are cool too, they have nice flowers on them!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
vbueno

Post by vbueno »

Yes, Daiv. I know Juan Pablo Acosta (spiniflores, pescaomarino) from when he started in the world of cactus. He said of the first cactus confusing that he thought a "archopterix."
In this link there are photos of my trip to Chile

http://www.cactuscenterclub.com/phpBB2/ ... c&start=50

Un productor de cactus chileno (cactus-man) con respecto a unas Eriosyce parecidas a la primera difícil de identificar aduce que parece chilensis, pero son subgibbosas: "corresponden a plantas de hábitat en Hualpén, al sur de Concepción, a 1000 Km al sur del hábitat de las chilensis". Aquí está el enlace.
http://www.suculentas.es/phpBB3/viewtop ... =20&t=7080

Thanks, Jens: A good working hypothesis for the fine cactus spines. I asked at a forum in Chile and a top producer of Chilean cactus (Relmucactus) also reads as the intermedia (gracilis). On the other hand, the Spanish nursery that planted this cactus says that the seed comes from Mesa Garden (1030.1 - chilensis Los Molles, fine glassy spines). Here's the link:

http://eriosyce.mforos.com/1408839/6947 ... as-quizas/

king-hedes and Petercactusguy it's amazing the landscape where they grow. The subgibbosa in Los Vilos, by the sea in a green area.

The taltalensis in the Quebrada del Leon, where we went to see the Copiapoa leonensis and Eriosyce calderana.

Greetings
Vicent
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Vicent, you got that right, that is cool habitat!
That really is amazing. The second shot in Quebrada del Leon looks kinda like Arizona. Is that the ocean off to the left?

Neat photos thanks for sharing something that even here in AZ we dont get to see every day!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
iann

Post by iann »

It should be very straightforward to distinguish E. chilensis and E. heinrichiana in the flesh, even if not always obvious from a single photo. The flowers are really quite different in colour and behaviour, even between the plain pink E. chilensis and the occasional fully pink E. heinrichiana. I put very little faith in the appearance of the body or spines because they are just too variable. Also watch out for a strong citrus scent from E. heinrichiana flowers, something I've never detected on E. chilensis.
--ian
vbueno

Post by vbueno »

Petercactusguy. Yes, the background is the ocean. That same day we were in a much more arid area east of Obispito.

Iann, thanks for your always very interesting contributions.

Vicent
john b

Post by john b »

Beautiful plants and great habitat shots!

Thanks for sharing.

John B