Contest 45: Discussion and Related Photos

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:oops: :oops: Ok im lost i dont know whats what so im not in.. POOY!!! :cry:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

The part of Sonoran Desert plants in my collection was become greater after my visit last year in Tucson.
Before I was there I don't know so much about the Sonoran Desert. But now it's much more better. :wink:
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I had to do a lot of research to figure out if I had any Sonoran plants. Seems that most of my plants come from the wrong hemisphere! You all have seen this plant before, pictures of it seem to fit the bill for most contests.

This plant has been identified by the seller as gosselinana, but others have called it santa-rita. The difference is apparently that the flower of the gosselinana is solid yellow, and the santa-rita flower has some red on the base. This guy has solid yellow flowers. Both of them are found in Sonora, so I guess it doesn't matter for the contest.

I've leared a lot about my plants from this contest, a very beneficial side effect!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
hob

Post by hob »

click on iann's link in reply to my post for what is acceptable .............if in doubt ask :D
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Ian's link is great, but I enjoyed the research. The link gives me a great place to enhance my wish list though! :D
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
peterb

Post by peterb »

I have become increasingly interested in the ways the Sonoran Desert is different from the Chihuahuan, the Mojave and the Great Basin.

The various distinguishing climatological features of these deserts seem at least somewhat relevant to successful growing. It is also interesting to me how resilient most of the plants are. For example, Sonoran Desert cacti experience bi-seasonal rains, with prolonged, soaking cold rains in the winter and ferocious thunderstorms in the summer. In between it is usually unbelievably dry. In cultivation, however, I have only encountered a few species that seem to need to adhere to this bi-seasonal pattern. Echinomastus erectocentrus is one of them. Saguaros too have a really rough time of it without winter rains. Most however seem to do all right treated just like Chihuahuan plants (dry cold winter).

peterb
Zone 9
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

PeterB,
not to confuse everyone, but on the desert map you posted is Black Canyon City in the Sonoran desert?

I was having trouble decided where I am located on the map, I am pretty sure that all the plants that I have around me naturally would be considered in the Sonoran, but then again... hahaha I probably have pictures of stuff that isn't.
:)

(edit) OK I did some research and BCC is not in the Sonoran desert according to that map. My lat and long is 34.08N by 112.14W appx. and according to the Map, I am in the chaparral zone above the Sonoran...OR maybe I am in it, I can't really tell hahaha.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Lair3514

Post by Lair3514 »

As a resident of Tucson, I grow in the Sonoran Desert and my life is almost as exciting as a cactus. Here are a few interesting cacti from Tuesday morning walk in Tanque Verde Wash near, but not in, Ft. Lowell Park, a city park.

Barrel Cactus (Ferocactus, wislizeni possibly)
A very fruit-laden cholla (Cylindopuntia, fulgida possibly)
The almost tree-size cactus (again, I believe it's Cylindropuntia fulgida) that really caught my fancy. The pile of twigs I believe is a white-wing dove nest, didn't see occupant. Maybe it's still under construction or abandoned.
peterb

Post by peterb »

PTCG: BCC is, loosely speaking, in the Sonoran. Very loosely. Another way to look at it is you are in a transition zone.

peterb
Zone 9
CactusJordi

Post by CactusJordi »

Sorry, I missed the deadline by several days :oops:
Here is what I would have posted in the contest. Echinocereus lindsayi in habitat south of Cataviña:
Though you might have rather voted for this one. Ecer lindsayi's new spines in my yard:
Jordi
peterb

Post by peterb »

wow, those are amazing spines! Love that plant.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Speaking of voting - Darryl? (looking for cattle-prod smiley) :lol:

I failed to send the e-mail for this one too as I was so focused on the bookstore site.

Jordi - that is a great picture for certain, but we'll have to trust you that there is a cactus under all those spines! :o
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

PeterB, that's sorta what I thought, because where I live is right in between The Sonoran desert which is mostly low desert and the scrub brush type of desert which is about 10 miles or less north of me. Also elevation seems to mark the boundaries in some places as well, but thanks for the info :)

NOTE to all... I really really am embarrassed. It slipped my mind to pic a picture for this contest as I have been really really really super busy lately. :oops: :shock: :wink:
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.