A piece of WWII history.

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
dustin0352

A piece of WWII history.

Post by dustin0352 »

I am somewhat of a military history nerd, and I finaly had to bite on this historic Russian WWII rifle. It is a 1942 wartime production Mosin Nagant 91/30, chambered in 7.62x54r. I couldnt pass up the deal on this piece of history, I got the rifle, bayonet, sling, and two period ammo puches for $85. I must add that I purchased this rifle for collection purposes ONLY. I have taken it to the range once just to test it out, but from now on will be locked up(in a safe) with no ammuniton. Again this is a magnificent piece of WWII history and I am so excited to have added it to my collection.

If anyone is interested in the history of this rifle, do a quick search for Mosin Nagant history. Unbelieveable what this modle has been through!

Any other collectors with this rifle? or anyone interested in seeing it in action at the range, I will be posting it on my youtube page soon.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Dustin,
cool. I am a history buff too. While I am not what you would call a gun collector I have seen some of these guns in action. When I was in high school I took a cool American Military History class. Our instructor had several guns. WE got to fire blanks on muskets and a few other guns to give us a feel of what it was like to shoot them. I flinched at first but it was fun! :)

BTW I am not sure which WWII Russian rifle we got to fire but.. it was heavy and had an extremely long range for the time.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
GardenBed

Post by GardenBed »

Why lock it up? You can display it.
I am a punctilious cacti freak from long ago. Though I do not quality for the elite ranks, I try to help out others.
John C

Post by John C »

Great find! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Thanks guys, Peter more than likely the rifle you fired was this same one. They had other varients of this rifle in the war such as the carbine version-m44. Just a shorter version of the 91/30. The iron sights on this badboy are adjustable out too 2,000 meters. Not that a 2k meter shot is feaseable with the naked eye, but that kinda range is way ahead of its time.

GardenBed, I would really love to display this rifle. Maybe one day Ill have the money to get a see through safe. I did however take a second range trip with it (my brother wanted to shoot it) and I think I might make this a rifle that frequents the range with me. Its a real fun rifle to shoot, and is really freakin accurate! Infact got another range day schedualed for this saturday. I've been teaching my wife weapons handling saftey for a few weeks now, and gonna see how she does at the range.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Dustin cool. It sounds like it's a pretty neat rifle to actually shoot too.
I will say this, the Russians maybe do things backwards and differently then we do, but they as heck have made some pretty good weapons over the years. I am pretty glad we never had to fight them. Doesn't seem like you would fare to well fighting against them. I play a WWII tank game made by Russians that is pretty fun, but of course their tanks are quite better then the German and American tanks.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.