Ancistrocactus brevihamatus pallidus

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DWDogwood

Ancistrocactus brevihamatus pallidus

Post by DWDogwood »

Got a small packet of Mesa seeds and after half of them damped off I sprang into action and grafted the remaining 3.
One not shown, when grafted, was a spineless stunted ball, but lately has been throwing off pups and looks like something from a Ren and Stimpy close-up.
These two are very different from one another, the left looking more like a type brevihamatus and the right exactly what I would have hoped for.
Would like them to start a family, and am aiming for the super spiny kids.
Does anyone know if wild variants are common in this variety, or sub-specie?

peterb

Post by peterb »

Huh, from habitat photos I have seen in Powell and Weedin, I'd say both look right, but far less compact I assume due to the graft. The proof will be in the flower. Put my name on a list for seeds, if such a thing exists.

peterb
Zone 9
DWDogwood

Post by DWDogwood »

Sure thing peter. Mesa didn't have any more to fill a second order last year. :(

Here is Stimpy. :D

MildBill

Post by MildBill »

In the top pic, the plant on the left is most like A. brevahamatus. I am growing about 60 plants from seeds and they are now about 2" tall. None look like the plant on the right although I do have a couple of double stemmed ones. Also, mine are growing rapidly without the graft. Some bloomed this year.