Grafting Gymnocalycium on Pereskiopsis

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
zero00one

Grafting Gymnocalycium on Pereskiopsis

Post by zero00one »

I tried to graft Gymnocalycium "Seedling" on Pereskiopsis but did not work. Also tried to graft red Gymnocalycium on Pereskiopsis but all I have got is failed...
:( :( :( :( :(
Any help !!!
Zero
charlpic

Re: Grafting Gymnocalycium on Pereskiopsis

Post by charlpic »

What happened ? Pushed off ? Didn't take ? Rotted ?
Are you able to graft other seedling ? I can't see no special problem grafting gymno seedlings on pereskiopsis. Just keep trying!

However I also have a pretty high fail ratio with those lollipops too. Came to the conclusion I'm losing my time with them.
Glochid Fingers

Post by Glochid Fingers »

Just make sure you keep it humid to avoid the drying cactus skin pushing the scion off. It took me a few tries, but i finally got it to work on an opuntia :wink: ------>
Unfortunately it died a few months ago, the rootstock rotted. oh well.
zero00one

Post by zero00one »

I did many trials .... With seedling they did not weld and gemno died
Also when I put lighter on they did not weld .... I tried Lophophora but not seedling and it works well...
Really I did not put in humidity but I use thin plastic film to cover so I think they will not dry so fast !!!
Now I germinate some Astrophytum seeds to try again!!
I will try again with humidity atmosphere... I think gemno not work well with Pereskiopsis. Thank you for your reply!!
Zero
FingerPrickinFun

Post by FingerPrickinFun »

The only seedlings I've ever tried (on pereskiopsis) were e. Micromeris and after killing about 8 of them, two have succeeded. I think the humidity and shade helped, but also the chosen stock. This might be coincidence, but I picked a fat older pereskiopsis, cut it, and then waited for new growth from that stock. This fresh growth has worked best for me, but, like I said, this might be coincidence.

Good luck! Don't give up!
zero00one

Post by zero00one »

Thank you for reply and as you said "Humidity & Shade" I will try again with these term and I will let you know.... Thanks again :)
Zero
charlpic

Post by charlpic »

Also, you'll often read not to water pereskiospsis about 2-3 days before and 2-3 days after the graft. Play with this. If your grafts dry out (even in 100% humidity), why not try to water them the same day.
zero00one

Post by zero00one »

I usually watering them after grafting " a little" then leave them one week without watering "if its hot days".... I will try both way and see :) :)
I read some where the Pereskiopsis is a great friend to Lophophora williamsi ... I grafted lophophora williamsi with Pereskiopsis 3 times .... just have one success ... any way I will try it again :)
Zero
Tony

Post by Tony »

I have had a very high success rate with everything I have tried on peresk's, but only grafting the scion on fresh growth within an inch of the tip.
Using older, hardened growth has also worked, but I was far less successful grafting lower down on the stem.
Humidity and shade is important too.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
zero00one

Post by zero00one »

Thank you Tony.... I do as you said but not in shade ..I put after grafting in a place has artificial light and lighting for 24/7, So I don't know its good or not?! but other grafting its ok....
Zero