Galapagos islands, New Photos ...

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Maid Spikeion

Galapagos islands, New Photos ...

Post by Maid Spikeion »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and thought I'd share some pics I took of cacti from different islands in the Galapagos. Sorry I don't know the names of them. The land iguanas were eating the cacti leaves from fallen cacti trees and hiding from the full sun in the shade of the huge cacti trunks. The trunks are very hard and I saw some necklaces for sale made from cacti wood.
Attachments
1. Iguana hiding from sun in shadow of a big cacti trunk on plaza island.
1. Iguana hiding from sun in shadow of a big cacti trunk on plaza island.
DSC_0033.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
2. Iguana munching cacti leaves on plaza island.
2. Iguana munching cacti leaves on plaza island.
DSC_0040.jpg (55.98 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
3. Cactus trees on plaza island.
3. Cactus trees on plaza island.
DSC_0271.jpg (38.45 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
4. Cactus with spiky trunk on Santa Cruz
4. Cactus with spiky trunk on Santa Cruz
DSC_0115.jpg (53.75 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
5. Cactus trees on Floreana Island
5. Cactus trees on Floreana Island
DSC_0027.jpg (60.62 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
6. Cactus living between the lava flow on Fernandina Island.
6. Cactus living between the lava flow on Fernandina Island.
DSC_0039.jpg (37.5 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
7. Close up of green tips of cacti on Fernandina.
7. Close up of green tips of cacti on Fernandina.
DSC_0025.jpg (38.19 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
8. Cacti seem to turn from yellow to grey..? Fernandina
8. Cacti seem to turn from yellow to grey..? Fernandina
DSC_0013.jpg (25.65 KiB) Viewed 2858 times
Last edited by Maid Spikeion on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saxicola

Re: Pics from the Galapagos islands...

Post by Saxicola »

Great pictures! The tree cacti are an Opuntia. I'm sure someone here will know the exact species. The other cactus is a very interesting one. It is Brachycereus nesioticus. It has the very appropriate common name of Lava Cactus. It may be the rarest cactus in cultivation as only a few people in the world grow it and it is nearly impossible to legally get any plants or seeds off the Galapagos (which is the only place in the world it grows).
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
peterb

Post by peterb »

WOW! Absolutely spectacular habita photos, truly a rare and glorious sight and a wonderful inspiration on a Monday morning. The big tree Opuntia are either Opuntia echios or the other one (I forget the name). Beautiful Brachycereus pictures!

thanks for posting!

peterb
Zone 9
Subverted

Post by Subverted »

Great photos of those tree like Opuntias and the Brachycereus, hopefully someday I will make it to the Galapagos...for now though...thanks for sharing these photos!
peterb

Post by peterb »

Just noticed that there seem to be a couple of stems missing from the bottom of the Brachycereus in the last picture. I wonder if someone took cuttings or if it is also turtle food?

peterb
Zone 9
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Amazing pics! =D>
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Great pics!

Peterb - I think the remains of the broken stems are laying in front of the plant.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

Wow!

Tree Opuntias are otherworldly beautiful.

I was not aware that non-opuntia cacti made it to the Galapagos.

Amazing!

Seeing the iguana munching cactus pads makes one wonder how they manage with all the glochids (the teeny tiny spines packed by the hundreds into each aereole (dot on the pad)).

Glad you made the journey - and shared the photos!

Inspiring indeed!
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Awesome pictures! That iguana has the right idea (hanging out in the shade, that is. I'm not so sure about munching on glochids).
Tony

Post by Tony »

Awesome! thanks for posting! 8)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes impossible to obtain plants or seed from the Galapagos, as Equador, who they belong to will not even let the Darwin Research Station send any out. I nearly went myself one time so enquired from the Research Station if they ever produced a seed list, only to be told no plants or seed are allowed to be collected in case they are carried from island to island and so pollute the unique flora of each island that has occurred in isolation, as described by Darwin.
Maid Spikeion

Post by Maid Spikeion »

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments!:) There were tons of lava cacti.... clumps every 50m or so across the lava field... they didn't get much camera time though because they are right next to hundreds of basking marine iguanas on the nearby coast:) Peter B: I've posted a couple more pics so you can see how the cactus seem to get old and snap off at the base... looking as though they were cut. Dave W: I went to the Darwin Research Centre in Santa Cruz and they were growing cacti there in their own small nursery. I don't see why people outside the Galapagos don't have the seeds or plants already, I could have taken handfuls of seed while I was there but didn't think of it... I didn't know you're not supposed to either, so I'm sure people must be growing them out there somewhere. I saw a wild cactus growing on the northern coast of peru that I thought was the same as the lava cactus... but I guess it's not now that I know it's only on the Galapagos... I'll attach a pic of it anyway, maybe you know what it is...
Attachments
Snapped lava cacti fernandina
Snapped lava cacti fernandina
snapped_cacti.jpg (426.48 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
snapped lava cacti 2 fernandina
snapped lava cacti 2 fernandina
snapped_cacti_2.jpg (258.29 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Baby cacti at DRC santa cruz
Baby cacti at DRC santa cruz
nursery.jpg (377.03 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
herbarium specimen from DRC santa cruz
herbarium specimen from DRC santa cruz
cacctus_SC.jpg (29.58 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
darwin finch nest in cacti
darwin finch nest in cacti
santa_crus_finch.jpg (490.23 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
cacti tree bark
cacti tree bark
cacti_bark.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
type of cacti I didn't post before, santa cruz
type of cacti I didn't post before, santa cruz
santa_cruz.jpg (43.66 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
This looks like a different one?? North seymour
This looks like a different one?? North seymour
nth_seymour.jpg (421.24 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
look-alike cacti in peru:):)... I'm such a newbie... I'm sure it's very different:)
look-alike cacti in peru:):)... I'm such a newbie... I'm sure it's very different:)
peru_cacti.jpg (358.87 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
DaveW

Re: Galapagos islands, New Photos ...

Post by DaveW »

Like a lot of things, what official bodies are not supposed to do and what amateurs or visitors do Maid can be a different thing. I thought it was Ecuadorian Customs that kept a look out for seed and cactus smuggling when you returned to the mainland because don't all trips to the Galapagos have to start from there? If much seed escaped you would think Brachycereus neosticus would be readily available, but try and obtain some.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/BRACHY ... oticus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Notes: The government of Ecuador prohibits the collection of any plant in the Galapagos, which have been designated a national park. The Brachycereus nesioticus is almost unknown in cultivation for it is not only difficult to obtain seeds or plants, but practically the only success in propagation has been by grafting."

http://cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus=Brachycereus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

What a wonderful trip you must have had. I'm glad you shared the pictures!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
peterb

Post by peterb »

I think the big columnar cactus with the segmented stems is Jasminocereus. The other pad type cactus is another species of Opuntia, and I can't remember what it's called right now. Someone else will know. The cactus from the coast might be the nearest relative to Brachycereus. I know I read somewhere that there is a plant on the mainland that seems to be the closest relative, but now I can't find that info anywhere.

Another factor besides the restrictions on seed distribution is the extreme difficulty of germinating and raising Brachycereus, so I am told.

peterb
Zone 9