Lets talk about other hobbies

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Franj

Lets talk about other hobbies

Post by Franj »

Hi all :D

I think "Other Hobbies" would be a good subject for this forum. I've had quite a few over the years. From rock collecting to sky diving and hot air ballooning.

I'll start with one of my earliest, the "Rock Hound". When I was about 8 or 10 years old, my favorite Uncle would take me to mines and quarries in Pennsylvania and New Jersey to search for crystals and fossils. My Grandfather (his father) was also an avid collector of rocks and minerals. He was especially proud of his "Radioactive" collection. They weren't really radioactive they were a special group of minerals that flouresce (Glow like neon) under a black light.

I happen to live in not only one of the best places for raising cacti but also the home of one of the biggest gem and mineral shows in the country. Sadly I haven't been to one since I've bought my camera. I'll be rectifiying that this February. Meanwhile I would like to share some pics of my favorite "Cool Rocks".

Two inches from gum line to tip. My favorite Sharks tooth. If you got bit by this thing........ooooooh that had to hurt!

Last edited by Franj on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

A trip to a local oil field netted my two kids and I nine of them, and here are a few:

http://www.pbase.com/beekeeper/image/22271910
Franj

Post by Franj »

A Malachite (a Copper ore) encrusted rock from an Arizona mine displayed at the Desert Museum in Tucson. About 18 inches across.

Franj
Franj

Post by Franj »

Cool Tim :D
Love the colors and patterns in those!
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Great looking teeth Franj and TimV. That Malachite is an eye catcher.

On the subject of found in mines. I used to be an underground coal-miner and found these imbedded in the rock after the continuous miner (machine that removed coal) had removed the coal. They were kind of a rare find as the were usually ground up with the coal. I've had these for nearly 30 years and have no idea what they are.
click'em

I'm uncertain if these are fossils or a mineral deposit but they are very fragile.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Franj

Post by Franj »

Almost looks like a fossil Sand Dollar. Got some pyrite in it too. Very nice!

Franj
Tony

Post by Tony »

Nice rocks!
Iv'e collected a few (hundred pounds) over the years myself.
Its marine limestone,otherwise known as liverock from many different places around the world.
Im still trying to figure out how to get good pictures through the glass.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Beautiful Tony, is that Dory on the left?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Well, I have a mineral collection too, not too big but it's there.
On the other hand I think that we all have a broad interest in nature.
YumAz

Post by YumAz »

A gem and mineral club is an excellent and cheap (you don't have to buy equipment) way to pursue this interest. I've belonged to a couple and the dues were like $35 per year. A good resource for swapping specimens and cutting material too. I know Tucson has a large gem and mineral club. Here is another one in Arizona, nice equipment huh?
http://www.apachejunctionrockclub.org/pictures.htm
Also most clubs I've seen have an extensive library, more on the topic than most public libraries. And a book like this;
http://www.dadsrockshop.com/books_guides.html
will help too. I had "Gem trails of Colorado" and it got me ALOT of cutting material and a few decent specimens. If you don't want to buy rock it's a good way to get it. A good investment, if you're into it.
Spikey1007

Post by Spikey1007 »

Well Crystals And Gemstones is one of my Biggest Intrests so i have quite a collection my self Image

If any one would like a close up of a certain one just ask and it will be done i like Franj use these to make pots look more pretty.
CactiGirl06

:)

Post by CactiGirl06 »

daiv wrote:Beautiful Tony, is that Dory on the left?
Haha dad, you and your disney movies
Daughter of Daiv Freeman.
Tony

Re: :)

Post by Tony »

CactiGirl06 wrote:
daiv wrote:Beautiful Tony, is that Dory on the left?
Haha dad, you and your disney movies
hello Cactigirl06,Your never to old for a good disney movie :) Seen that one more than I'd like to admit.
My 2 year old son likes it. yea,thats it :roll:
Reiki

Post by Reiki »

Hi TimV,
Very nice - I collect bits and pieces of geology too - btw I liked the termite in amber.

Best regards

chris

[quote="TimV"]A trip to a local oil field netted my two kids and I nine of them, and here are a few:
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Never did much with my interest in geodes and fossils and such but I did spend a lot of time painting armies for wargames...

Bruce