need help with another cactus

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
yomero

need help with another cactus

Post by yomero »

need help identifying another cactus,
it's in 4 inch pot, thank you.
Attachments
223.JPG
223.JPG (43.34 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
216.JPG
216.JPG (41.54 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
226.JPG
226.JPG (45.93 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
DaveW

Re: need help with another cactus

Post by DaveW »

Parodia (Notocactus) roseoluteus

http://www.kakteensammlung-holzheu.de/e ... uteus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
luddhus

Post by luddhus »

rutilans
majcka

Post by majcka »

Whichever. It's lovely.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Dang, my wish list just got a new entry!
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I think the spination is a little different on Notocactus rutilans, though the flowers are similar. Here is my rutilans on another site as I have lost the picture on my computer now. You will need to scroll down a bit:-

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=2549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yomero

Post by yomero »

thanks for the help but I am also I am getting a little confused, :confused2:
I have these two cactus, both the flowers and cactus look similar but they totally are different,
so the first is Notocactus rutilans?
and the second is Notocactus (Parodia) mammulosa ? (in 8 inch pot) :-k
is that correct?
I tried cross pollination between the two, hopefully I will get some fruits.

Attachments
190.JPG
190.JPG (111.98 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
191.JPG
191.JPG (97.13 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Neither is mammulosus, that has a yellow flower. There is a mammulosus in my previous link if you scroll right down. The last two picture above look most like roseoluteus to me, the first probably is rutilans after all as Luddhus says now I see them both together.

As I recall Notocactus roseoluteus is a member of the N. mammulosus group, whereas N. rutilans belongs to the N. muller-melchersii group so you should be able to check them off against their description. This is an article on the N. muller-melchersii group:-

http://www.pueblocactus.com/en/articles ... ersii.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dixie Chicken

Post by Dixie Chicken »

I'm wondering if the first is the P. rutilans (with the longer stouter central) and the second is P. roseoluteus (with more consistent spine size over the entire plant). Your flower stalks seem to be somewhat different from my P. roseoluteus', as mine are closer to the plant and there isn't the bold bits of coloration. Maybe that doesn't matter and is just another variable aspect of cacti.... gotta love 'em.

BarryRice (and any one else interested) I've a new small crop of seedlings of P. roseluteus and she's flowering heavily again, so I'm quite happy to send these on to appreciative new homes, once they are bigger enough to pack a suitcase! If you'll remind me in about 6 months they should be ready for rehoming!

Carol

PS. This plant is in a 12" pot, for reference.
Attachments
P. roseoluteus flower stalk
P. roseoluteus flower stalk
CIMG5373 - 50a.JPG (63.89 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
And from the top....
And from the top....
CIMG2810.JPG (50.82 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
In all her glory!
In all her glory!
CIMG5298.JPG (87.01 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
May you never be spineless!

Carol
yomero

Post by yomero »

DaveW wrote:Neither is mammulosus, that has a yellow flower. There is a mammulosus in my previous link if you scroll right down. The last two picture above look most like roseoluteus to me, the first probably is rutilans after all as Luddhus says now I see them both together.

As I recall Notocactus roseoluteus is a member of the N. mammulosus group, whereas N. rutilans belongs to the N. muller-melchersii group so you should be able to check them off against their description. This is an article on the N. muller-melchersii group:-

http://www.pueblocactus.com/en/articles ... ersii.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thank you, :) by the way here is one with yellow flowers.
Attachments
062.JPG
062.JPG (76.48 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
063.JPG
063.JPG (82.19 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
yomero

Post by yomero »

Dixie Chicken wrote:I'm wondering if the first is the P. rutilans (with the longer stouter central) and the second is P. roseoluteus (with more consistent spine size over the entire plant). Your flower stalks seem to be somewhat different from my P. roseoluteus', as mine are closer to the plant and there isn't the bold bits of coloration. Maybe that doesn't matter and is just another variable aspect of cacti.... gotta love 'em.

BarryRice (and any one else interested) I've a new small crop of seedlings of P. roseluteus and she's flowering heavily again, so I'm quite happy to send these on to appreciative new homes, once they are bigger enough to pack a suitcase! If you'll remind me in about 6 months they should be ready for rehoming!

Carol

PS. This plant is in a 12" pot, for reference.
they look identical to me, my flower wasn't completely open when I shot the picture :D

Attachments
189.JPG
189.JPG (64.02 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes, your yellow flowered one is N. mammulosus. It can sometimes be difficult to identify isolated similar looking species from photographs, whereas the differences are obvious when you see them in the flesh, or side by side.
iann

Post by iann »

I just looked in on the South Americans and I agree that Yomero's second plant is P. roselutea, both from the flower and the spines.
--ian
yomero

Post by yomero »

I thank everyone for the help. :D