ID help please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
hazleynut

ID help please

Post by hazleynut »

Hello everyone,

A couple of my plants have grown some flowers this week and I'd love to know if anyone can tell me what kind of cactus they are, here are some photos..... (apologies for the quality, I only have a phone camera)

DSC_0325.jpg
DSC_0325.jpg (39.95 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
DSC_0326.jpg
DSC_0326.jpg (34.76 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
About 2 years ago a different stalk/flower grew from this same plant which looked like the photo below
dcim (12).jpg
dcim (12).jpg (22.99 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
DSC_0388.jpg
DSC_0388.jpg (76.31 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
DSC_0348.jpg
DSC_0348.jpg (62.73 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
Thank you in advance to anyone who can name them! I'd like to be able to read up about how to make them grow best :)
Kamos

Re: ID help please

Post by Kamos »

The second plant looks like Rebutia minuscula.
Neal
CactusJordi

Post by CactusJordi »

The first plant is an Echeveria (also succulent plant, but not a cactus!)

Jordi
hazleynut

Post by hazleynut »

Thank you for both replies! I realised shortly after I posted the photos that one was not a cactus...beginners mistake hehe
Gary

Post by Gary »

I have a plant very similar to your first one. When I bought it it was labelled as Graptopetalum purpusor but after looking on Google I'm now inclined to think it is Echeveria purpusorum or at least a Graptopetalum x Echeveria hybrid as it seems the 2 genera are fertile. So treat it as an Echeveria. I'm currently trying to propagate from some of those flower stalks taken as cuttings, it's an attractive plant so hopefully I should be able to get some new plants going from this. I like the fact that the leaves are glossy and you don't have to worry about marking the "bloom" typical on a lot of these type of succulents.
cheers
Gaz