How much water?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
sundanz

How much water?

Post by sundanz »

Hi, I haven't posted in awhile but here I am again with a new question. I'm in hot Texas and this summer it's 200 degrees F every day for the past couple of weeks. I have been watering all cacti in the GH once a week. They are in Clay pots.
Is that enough watering considering the temp, or can I increase it like every 2 or 3 days? I don't want to over water and harm them. So far they look ok with my routine. Any suggestion?
Thanks!!
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
cactushobbyman

Re: How much water?

Post by cactushobbyman »

200 degrees, typo error, :lol: , here in Central California we have just finished our heat wave, high in the 108's and we are now in the mid to high 90's. I just stay the same with my watering, once every two weeks. The younger plants I'll give a little water on the off week, maybe 1/3 the amount. This works for me. :D
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

If they still look good as you say then I probably wouldn't change the routine. Of course there's other factors to consider too, like the types of cacti you have, whether the heat is causing them to enter dormancy, how fast the pots are drying out, etc.
sundanz

Post by sundanz »

Thank you! Yes a typo error, it's 100, even today! I have a broad range of cacti and succulents, all in a GH. They all get the same treatment. They ones that love sun more are on the top shelf, others are more protected, like on the middle shelf. I rotate my plants now and then. Glad to know once a week watering is ok because I do better on a schedule.My pots are terracotta, unglazed so the plants dry out easily.
Life's a Cactus in the Great State of Texas!!!
iann

Post by iann »

Clay might not have been the best choice in your climate ;) Think about ways to decrease evaporation rather than watering more frequently. Also, most cacti will do very well without water for a surprisingly long time even in extreme heat. Consider watering when it is cooler, even rainy. The water will last longer and the plants will do better with it, especially if 90% of the water is evaporating when it is hot and sunny. Then you might be happier leaving a fat plant dry for a few days longer. If the plants are looking stressed, then more water is rarely the answer (unless you just haven't watered them for three months!). They might need shade, fresh soil, a new set of roots, spraying for pests, etc.
--ian
7george

Post by 7george »

Exactly. Some species go dormant in the midsummer for a month or more. Just look at the plant and see what it needs now.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
keith

Post by keith »

Night time temperatures are more important when deciding to water in Summer. Too hot and the plants may rot. I just got back from Phoenix AZ 110F every day with 90F at the coolest part of the night the cactus go dormant until the rain and cooler weather starts.