San Pedro buds, no flowers

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
HP22B

San Pedro buds, no flowers

Post by HP22B »

Hi all,
I have a potted San Pedro that put out three flower buds back at the end of April and they appear to have stalled. I haven't noticed any significant growth in the last week or two. At the same time they are not dying.

Should I just be patient? Should I be feeding more? I was under the impression the best thing to do in this case is to change absolutely nothing about your feeding/watering regiment. I have not seen this cactus flower before and I would love to see them this year.

Thanks!
Robb

Re: San Pedro buds, no flowers

Post by Robb »

I have had the same problem with some of my Echinopsis. I have found that all you can do is be patient and eventually most of the buds will bloom. Sometimes they stall for only a short period, other times it can be several months, but generally, a bud will die pretty quickly if it isn't going to flower.
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Plenty of water helps buds develop - flowers are a major water loss for cacti - all that surface area!
Obviously only if conditions are OK - not if it's unseasonably cold etc.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

Flower buds were not opening on some of my cactus too, and I had a grower tell me they needed more water. He said if the cactus does not have enough water, the cactus will conserve water for the plant itself, and not open buds. I tried more water and success.