Looking for specfic seeds

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
Minime8484

Re: Looking for specfic seeds

Post by Minime8484 »

If the seeds made it to NY all the way from AZ, and NY is often the launching point for mail to foreign countries (esp those in Europe), it may not actually have been the USPS that dropped the ball.

Suffice it to say, if you first claim you don't want the seeds from the US because you aren't going to pay for something that will just not arrive, but then change your story when you find out they are free, your logic falls apart, and you clearly have issues beyond those of the USPS.

In the future, when you make requests on an International forum, I highly recommend you clearly stipulate your specific requirements as a part of the request to avoid any confusion.

By the way, Uhlig Kakteen (Germany) has both C. biglovii and C. leptocaulis.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Live plants, which require a phytosanitary certificate to import(and extremely expensive taxes). Youd know this if you werent freed from such an inconvenience. And no, im not gonna pay or order because well both lose seeds and money.
I talked to mr.richard eymann about the whole missing seeds thing, and the issue was, if it actually left the US, the tracking would have SAID so.(and before you try to pin this on my postal service, we have tracking too for international shipments as well). Mr. eymann confirmed the outcome himself.
And ive specified before im looking for seed growers in europe. If you didnt want to play know-it-all with a bit of research this whole argument could have been avoided. And ive asked for a opinion for Uhlig Kakteen seeds, but nobody on this forum has given one.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

](*,)
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Yes, ](*,)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

When I order from Mesa Garden, the tracking does not go any further than from Albuquerque, to Los Angeles and (in some occasions) to New York. After that it disappears from the tracking radar and suddenly pops up at my door.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Except it hasnt popped at mine. And boy did i wait for it for three months.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

If it was your first time you were simply unlucky Stefan. Sending anything by post from one country to another there is always risk of mail going astray or getting damaged, but that risk also occurs within Europe or your own countries postal service too. Also some may get addressed wrongly, particularly by people unfamiliar with another countries address spelling.

I have ordered seed from abroad for years and not had any go astray, including from the USA. But it is possible that could happen on your first order from abroad, or not until your twentieth.

I had an American journal arrive that looked as if it had been through a shredder, presumably the automatic sorting machine did not like the slippy transparent plastic bags most countries are now packing journals in and it got trapped in it. I contacted our Post Office who delivered it and they said as they did not know if it got damaged in the UK or USA they could not do anything about it. So I just contacted the America Cactus Society and they replaced it for free without question.

There are of course some seeds that are not allowed to be sent internationally on Appendix 1, which if the Customs finds them in a parcel they may simply destroy the whole parcel. The EU is treated as a single country, therefore mail containing either plants or seed passes freely here. However most seed usually goes through the post OK, plants are a different matter if posted internationally outside the EU.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... _cites.htm
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Well, the most reliable so far has been the german one. Lets face it, arrives within a week, have no issues so far. Ive also ordered from italy , france at least twice, once from hugary and spain.One from britain did arrive , another didnt. So based on my(somewhat foolish) assumption, the highest chance of successful seed purchase is if i bought from european sellers, who are not separated by sea. And what led me to beleive this was, again , the average success rate.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As the EU is treated as a single country for Imports and exports, including CITES, it is not really "International postage" in that sense since it is treated differently by Customs to postage going to and from countries outside the EU. You may have the same trouble with seed and plants from the UK after we leave the EU.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Well, im not in the EU, so in a sense it might be easier.... To be fair, britain still signed cites, so unless they change import restrictions drastically, it will be pretty much the same.
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I in the US and know that it is very difficult to buy plants or seeds from international sellers. The problem is compounded with Phytosanitary certificates that are required when sending any plants material to my home in California. I always try to buy all of my plants and seeds from local nurseries when possible. I have always believed that hobbies which include plant cultivation can be very expensive depending upon what you like or the cost to maintain your garden.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Local nurseries in (FYR) macedonia have poor selection(aloe hybrid, opuntia microdaysis, and mammilaria are the most numerous, with the exception of some rarer plants(coryphantha, astrophytums, echinocereus) are somewhat of a very evasive secret and i havent been able to get much info on them. As for buying live plants internationally....was I on the receiving end of that one. 100 euro for 6 tiny almost rootless plants, and half of em died too!
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I recently sent seeds to the EU in a small box and it arrived safely. I always insure the package and never had problems shipping anything. The problem with sending CITES Appendix I or II plants or seeds which include all cactus is that you need permits to send the seeds overseas unless you can prove that the seeds are from second generation plants. I have second generation plants and it is difficult to prove.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Well , FYR Macedonia is not likely to be within EU anytime soon, but all seeds from within EU have no problems being imported(customs wise), provided they dont exceed certain limits(which i follow). We do follow cites rules however(checked that with ministry of agriculture and other stuff) and are almost in the same level as EU. Never ordered in europe,but outside EU, so i dont know how well that will go.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Seeds from Adblps have arrived, everything is in order. Well see how well they germinate.