xMyrtgerocactus linsday

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
stefan m.

xMyrtgerocactus linsday

Post by stefan m. »

Probably the rarest thing ill ever ask about, and probably the weirdest. Also, not to surprise some of you,but ive no idea under which category to post this.
My question/request is simple- anyone got a flower photo of this plant?
ElieEstephane

Re: xMyrtgerocactus linsday

Post by ElieEstephane »

There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

K. Thanks a lot.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes, I believe it was a solitary natural hybrid found many years ago and they just took a cutting off the plant in habitat. However quite a few natural hybrids between Cerei have been found since then, often in S. America. Some hybrids are "one offs" but some can occur more than once and become stabilised and breed to create a "new species".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wwwcolumn ... 512649980/

× Myrtgerocactus lindsayi is a species of cacti, the only one in the hybrid genus × Myrtgerocactus. It is thought to be a natural hybrid between Myrtillocactus cochal and Bergerocactus emoryi. Its generic name comes from those of its parents ("Mytillocactus" and "Bergerocactus") and its specific epithet, "lindsayi", is in honor of the botanist George Lindsay.

The cactus was first found by Lindsay near El Rosario, Baja California, Mexico, in 1950 while on a trip to look for Pacherocactus. Specimens were cultivated at the Desert Botanical Garden, finally blooming in 1961 and formally described the following year.

Neobinghamia was a genus erected by Backeberg for a number of plants which turned out to be intergeneric hybrids which later Gordon Rowley published as X- Haagepostoa.. We don't even know if in the dim dark past some genera we now accept were of hybrid origin, though DNA Sequencing may help sort it out. DNA Sequencing even points to Echinocactus grusonii having originally have been a hybrid between a Ferocactus and an Exchnocactus.

http://cactusclassification.science/x-haagespostoa/
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

I do know what it is though. Most growers dont even know such a thing would even exist. Some hybrids interest me becuase they exist between plants that look nothing alike(X ferobergia, , x mytgerocactus, x pacherocactus, ferocactus x astrophytum etc). I even find chimera plants amazing.
And if i recall , pachycereus militaris was formerly backenbergia militaris, no?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Most growers who have been growing for as long as I have (56 years) know such things exist and if you read all the new free journals most newer growers should be aware of natural intergeneric hybrids still being found.

Pachycereus militaris is not a hybrid though. It was also known under the specific name Pachycereus chrysomallus. It is unique in that it periodically sheds the cephalia it grows on the top of the tall stems. There were a lot of expensive top cuts introduced into Europe in the 1970's complete with cephalia. Many of the purchasers were annoyed when the plant grew through, or shed the cephalium, in order to regain it's normal height of about 30ft stems before forming cephalia again. For it's history see:-

http://cssaarchives.com/Pachycereus%20militaris.pdf
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Never said it was a hybrid, but it proves my point
6. In 1953, rediscovering the species after about
106 years, Mexican bot
anist and taxonomist
Dr.
Helia Bravo-Hollis
(1901–2001), lacking 4 days of beco
ming a centenarian, created a new
monospecific genus Backebergia,
Backebergia chrysomallus
, due partly to its unique cephalium
at the top of branches of this tree speci
es. The genus name honors Curt Backeberg.

8. In 1973, Mexican botanist
Hernando Sanchez-Mejorada
(1926–1988) decides due to errors of
others that the species name should be
Backebergia militaris
You know what their cephaliums remind me of? Buckingham royal guard hats,
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

stefan m. wrote: You know what their cephaliums remind me of? Buckingham royal guard hats,
That's why it's called militaris
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Yeah, i kinda felt like that was the case. But i never thought someone would actually call a plant after a (no offense) funny ceremonial hat.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Actually the Guards hats are often called busby's but that is incorrect, their real name is a bearskin because that was the fur they were originally made from. The tall hat was merely a ruse to fool the enemy your troops were bigger and taller so more frightening than theirs. Presumably our tall police constables hats were also to make them seem taller than those who they were trying to arrest, psychological warfare!

Even an American military band uses a bearskin:-

"The Drum Major in the United States Marine Band "The President's Own" wears a bearskin and holds a ceremonial mace."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bearskin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busby

Call a plant after a hat? What about a cactus named after a woodlouse? I will leave you to work that one out?

It amused me when I read elsewhere somebody stated Ferocactus macrodiscus meant "great record" in Latin, of course macrodiscus means "large disk", a reference to it's shape. Must have used an early version of Google Translate or something similar. One of the earlier automatic translators translated "hydraulic ram" as an "aquatic sheep".
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

DaveW wrote: Call a plant after a hat? What about a cactus named after a woodlouse? I will leave you to work that one out?.
Pelecyphora aselliformis? Or maybe mammillaria pectinifera
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Yes the one(pelecpyphora) whose spine and tubercules look like the underside of a bug...
And theres that trihocereus bridgesii.......
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes P. aselliformis is correct. The name aselliformis means like, or in the form of a woodlouse. Pectinifera just means pectinate spined and bridgesii was simply named after a person called Bridges.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

trichocereus bridgesii monstrose....that one...