** Cutting Done Right? Advice? PHOTOS **

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
naomiaileen

Re: ** Cutting Done Right? Advice? PHOTOS **

Post by naomiaileen »

7george wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:14 am Upright is better, this will prevent roots from the middle of the stem. The bottom cut would be better to keep dry, spray the stem above and the soil around. How often: 1 - 2 times a week is OK. And give the cacti some weeks time to root, the spring is coming.
I've sprayed it with water and propped them upright on a mesh surface that is elevated. What do you think? Hm..
Attachments
IMG_5759.jpg
IMG_5759.jpg (109.16 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

The top of the tallest one looks rotten to me
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

This my take on columnar cactus: I would take the tallest piece and cut it to the part that is the greenest. The rest of it looks either dead or just bad. Now for the rest of the cuttings; what is your end goal? If you don't want to cut the tip of the second tallest, it will stay elongated and never get to the original shape as the rest of the cutting. All cuttings with cut tops and bottoms will send out new growth, whether off of the main column or at the base of the plant.
j.jpg
j.jpg (109.85 KiB) Viewed 3047 times

The above picture started of as a single column and twenty years later, side growth/branching from pruning, freeze damage, and branches getting too tall and just falling off. The second is both new growth from the base as well as new growth from a cut branch (one arm was so tall, about 8 feet and leaning towards the sun, I cut it off and now three new buds are growing.
k.jpg
k.jpg (106.62 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
For me, I would cut to the best overall shape and make the cutting. To root it I would put it in a one gallon plastic pot and put one half full of gravel place cutting and add enough gravel to keep up right. Then I would place it in a cool part of the greenhouse and water it at least once every two weeks during the growing season. If you use some kind of growing medium I would bottom water it.

Good luck,

8)
naomiaileen

Post by naomiaileen »

cactushobbyman wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:31 pm This my take on columnar cactus: I would take the tallest piece and cut it to the part that is the greenest. The rest of it looks either dead or just bad. Now for the rest of the cuttings; what is your end goal? If you don't want to cut the tip of the second tallest, it will stay elongated and never get to the original shape as the rest of the cutting. All cuttings with cut tops and bottoms will send out new growth, whether off of the main column or at the base of the plant.

j.jpg

The above picture started of as a single column and twenty years later, side growth/branching from pruning, freeze damage, and branches getting too tall and just falling off. The second is both new growth from the base as well as new growth from a cut branch (one arm was so tall, about 8 feet and leaning towards the sun, I cut it off and now three new buds are growing.

k.jpg

For me, I would cut to the best overall shape and make the cutting. To root it I would put it in a one gallon plastic pot and put one half full of gravel place cutting and add enough gravel to keep up right. Then I would place it in a cool part of the greenhouse and water it at least once every two weeks during the growing season. If you use some kind of growing medium I would bottom water it.

Good luck,

8)

Wow Thank u!
naomiaileen

UPDATE Re: ** Cutting Done Right? Advice? PHOTOS **

Post by naomiaileen »

:idea: well.. this is an update of the current state. Not sure if things are moving in the right direction. I’ve left it alone in a dim room.. not sure what I should do next :?:
Attachments
6CB6365A-E2B4-4B26-B2AE-43FDBCF56E81.jpeg
6CB6365A-E2B4-4B26-B2AE-43FDBCF56E81.jpeg (111.9 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
35F3FA83-12C8-4D90-A75F-973AD6F35313.jpeg
35F3FA83-12C8-4D90-A75F-973AD6F35313.jpeg (81.08 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

There's nothing wrong with it
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
naomiaileen

Post by naomiaileen »

ElieEstephane wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:22 pm There's nothing wrong with it
it looked so shriveled at the ends, i assumed it was going bad..
thanks that's good to know