Help me save my jade!

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Dubai_cacti

Help me save my jade!

Post by Dubai_cacti »

Can anyone tell me why my jade plant’s leaves are starting to drop and looking like this?

I just got it a week ago from Ikea and didn’t water it yet. It is currently in the nursery pot in the usual thick peaty soil. I keep it under a grow light for 9 hours a day. I wanted it to get accustomed to my apartment climate for a week before repotting it.

This is my third jade and I don’t want to lose it like the last two 😭. I intend to repot the plant tonight.

Weather: Summer

https://imgur.com/a/nEi4yNV
Dubai_cacti

Re: Help me save my jade!

Post by Dubai_cacti »

So I repotted my jade last night in a potting soil and pumice mix. How long should I wait before giving it its first watering? The standard week?

Was my plant dehydrated which caused the leaf drop?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Those leaves look a bit shriveled - yes, I believe it's just dehydrated. Jade plants don't like to get extremely dry during the growing season, water when the top layer of soil is dry. Stick your finger in the soil to the first knuckle, if it feels dry at that depth it's ready for water.

Don't wait a week to water, just a couple days.
Spence :mrgreen:
Dubai_cacti

Post by Dubai_cacti »

greenknight wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:21 pm Those leaves look a bit shriveled - yes, I believe it's just dehydrated. Jade plants don't like to get extremely dry during the growing season, water when the top layer of soil is dry. Stick your finger in the soil to the first knuckle, if it feels dry at that depth it's ready for water.

Don't wait a week to water, just a couple days.
When I took the jade out of its old nursery pot, the pure peaty soil it was in, was moist. So how could it have been dehydrated? 🤔

While clearing out the old soil, it dropped a bunch of lower leaves as I was handling it.
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

Where roots and lower stem firm and healthy looking? If yes it might be just difference in temperature and humidity between nursery and your apartment. I’d follow greenknight advice on watering and add some spraying if the humidity is low.
Those leaves look fine. You can leave them on a top of the soil and they more likely will root and develop new plants.
Dubai_cacti

Post by Dubai_cacti »

bbarv wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:22 pm Where roots and lower stem firm and healthy looking? If yes it might be just difference in temperature and humidity between nursery and your apartment. I’d follow greenknight advice on watering and add some spraying if the humidity is low.
Those leaves look fine. You can leave them on a top of the soil and they more likely will root and develop new plants.
I’m in Dubai and it’s summer here. Jade plants are summer-dormant succulents. So that probably explains the wilting and leaf dropping. The question that arises now is, do you need to water succulents during their dormancy period, or not? If yes, then how often?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's not strictly summer dormant, more of an opportunistic grower. Too much heat will cause it to enter summer dormancy, like most succulents will. In temperate regions, it's generally recommended to keep Jades drier in the winter, when less sun is available. Some information I've seen indicates that it is a winter grower in its native South Africa. In your climate, it might be best to treat it as a winter grower. There's no blanket recommendation that covers all succulents - some are extreme xerophytes that need very little water, but the Jade Plant is not one of those. You'll have to judge how often to water based on how fast the soil dries, not based on a schedule.
Dubai_cacti

Post by Dubai_cacti »

greenknight wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:12 pm It's not strictly summer dormant, more of an opportunistic grower. Too much heat will cause it to enter summer dormancy, like most succulents will. In temperate regions, it's generally recommended to keep Jades drier in the winter, when less sun is available. Some information I've seen indicates that it is a winter grower in its native South Africa. In your climate, it might be best to treat it as a winter grower. There's no blanket recommendation that covers all succulents - some are extreme xerophytes that need very little water, but the Jade Plant is not one of those. You'll have to judge how often to water based on how fast the soil dries, not based on a schedule.
On the branch where the leaves were wilting, I noticed that the adjoining stem was blackish. I cut off a piece of that branch and noticed a brownish color in the center of the stem, all along the main branch. Is that rot? The roots seemed ok when repotting. I didn’t notice any blackening or sogginess in the roots.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If it's just on one branch, I'd advise pruning it off. Doesn't sound like root rot, but some kind of pathogen may have3 entered through a wound.