Candelabra Question

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
mcgrub88

Candelabra Question

Post by mcgrub88 »

At least I think I correctly identified this as a candelabra. Someone gave it to me a couple years ago with no information on it. My question is this: it has a "skinny" part in the middle. Should I trim it there or do nothing? Does it appear to be healthy? Also how do you care for them in the colder weather? Any other tips welcome! Thanks in advance.
Attachments
cac.jpg
cac.jpg (55.3 KiB) Viewed 2996 times
esp_imaging

Re: Candelabra Question

Post by esp_imaging »

It's Euphorbia trigona (or just possibly another similar Euphorbia species), so not actually a cactus at all. Apparently it is sometimes called candelabra plant, candelabra cactus etc.
Unfortunately various other different plants, including some true cacti and some other Euphorbias are also called candelabra cactus or some thing similar, so there is scope for confusion - this is typical with common names for plants, they often aren't specific and may apply to plants with very different habits or cultivation needs.
The plant looks healthy. There is no need to do anything with the skinny section if you are happy to live with it. You could cut the plant in 2 there, the stump will grow new shoots and the large top part may be re-rooted as a cutting (best done in spring, and let the cut end dry out for a week or so before planting in dry compost).
As for cultivation, it's standard succulent culture - the recent growth looks healthy, so what you have been doing looks fine to continue. Water it only when the compost is more-or-less dry. This may mean frequently in hot summer weather, very rarely if it is in a cold position in winter. It likes to be frost free or warmer in winter, but a mild frost may not harm it if the compost is totally dry.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Note also, the sap is toxic and caustic, so avoid contact with the skin and especially the eyes.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
mcgrub88

Post by mcgrub88 »

Thanks so much for the great information! Just what I was looking for!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Also as ESP implies only Botanical names are universal, so as soon as newcomers to the hobby can it is worthwhile getting used to using them if you know them and you will then be understood worldwide. The problem with common names is they may only apply to a country, or even just a region. For instance an American Bluebell is a different plant to an English Bluebell which is different to a Scottish Bluebell. When people colonised another country they often applied their previous local names to anything that looked similar. The same applies in cacti where "Queen of the Night" is not only applied to different species, but even those from different genera.

Latin names are hard to get used to at first but are the universal language of Botany and Zoology and using them becomes second nature after a while, just as common names previously were.

Euphorbia is a very large genus, only some of which are counted as Succulent's as yours is. Some in fact are garden weeds. The Succulent Euphorbia's are the Old World's equivalent of cacti, inhabiting similar conditions in Africa etc, whereas cacti are native to the Americas, apart from one Rhipsalis in Africa. All those cacti found in Europe and elsewhere were originally introduced back in historical times. Though many locals having grown up with them now think they are native plants. Some of the Euphorbiaceae like Poinsettia's are even sold as house plants at Christmas.

"Euphorbias from the deserts of Southern Africa and Madagascar have ev0lved physical characteristics and forms similar to cacti of North and South America, so they (along with various other kinds of plants) are often incorrectly referred to as cacti."

See:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphorbia