Which Aloinopsis?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
seaecho

Which Aloinopsis?

Post by seaecho »

Hi! I'm new here. I have an Aloinopsis luckhoffi on the way, and was also going to order an A. schooneesii, but was told they rot easily. So I'm wondering what I should get for my second one. A. spathulata? Villetti? I have read up on them, and know to water rarely. I live in S. California, in the high desert, and they would be indoors, in a west window. I thought about an A. Malnerbei, but that looks just like my Titanopsis! I can't decide. Which ones are easiest to grow for a beginner? (Not to succulents and cacti, but to mesembs). Thank you!
Aiko

Re: Which Aloinopsis?

Post by Aiko »

seaecho wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:23 pm and was also going to order an A. schooneesii, but was told they rot easily.
Why get discouraged so easily? Just try them if you like this species, and you might know this from own experience instead of an one off opinion of someone who might not be right or might have done something wrong themselves. Like any succulent, you have to be careful regarding watering. This species I don't consider as more rot prone than any other species with bulbous roots, but I do have a different climate than you.
seaecho

Post by seaecho »

Thank you, Aiko. I have gone ahead and ordered one. I will try to water according to articles I have read online. They tend to be controversial though. Some say never water in summer and others say water in summer is alright as long as you don't overdo it. I will post a pic when I get it. I am afraid of over or underwatering, but I guess I will have to find out the hard way!
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

I think you will manage to grow this species. I have three or four little plants I'm growing from seed. The are about two years old now and do still alive. And I am not exactly in the best climate for Mesembs. So don't be afraid to try. Good luck!
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

seaecho wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:18 am I am afraid of over or underwatering, but I guess I will have to find out the hard way!
I give mine water in the summer, but they might mainly grow in spring and autumn, so I start watering early and extent well into November if the weather is allowing me to (Novembers up here are usually dull and cloudy, and chilly but not cold). I don't think these are very sensitive to overwatering. Common sense should be enough to keep them alive. But I must admit, I don't get them to flower easily. The lack of sunlight and sun intensity in the autumn might be at fault here.