My Collection of Small Cactus - Fall 2019

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
bartab

My Collection of Small Cactus - Fall 2019

Post by bartab »

I have enjoyed reading this forum for some time, seeing what other people are growing along with growing tips and ideas to help improve my collection. This has been my third year of collecting. My first year (2017) was pretty meager, picking up a few things while visiting a few nurseries and growers along the Northern California coastal areas. Then last year I started to get hooked a little bit. All of a sudden the different growing media showed up in my garage. My wife began to wonder why all of a sudden I would need a couple of bags of Turface, then some Pumice, then an alternative to Turface, and next some sieves, buckets, bags of crushed granite and the like. And so it began. Earlier this summer, I saw my wife over near my cactus, and then she said to me "do you realize you have 176 cactus?". I said no, I didn't know that, and I need another table. I live about 30 miles East of San Francisco. No greenhouse means I need to move them inside on the coldest nights during the winter. When it is warm enough, I leave them outside under large patio umbrellas during the winter, and in the summer I remove the umbrellas and keep them under 30% shade cloth.

I will post just a few photo's tonight to get the hang of it, and will follow with more soon. I will gladly accept any thoughts or criticisms that will help me in the future.

Here are a few:

I've got a few Turbinicarpus. I will post three tonight so I can see if I am doing this correctly. These were acquired in both 2018 and 2019. Several blooms this year and a couple are actually blooming at this time. I tend to plant in Pumice, calcined clay, and medium sized chicken grit.
Attachments
Turbinicarpus juaerngii
Turbinicarpus juaerngii
turb (1).jpg (203.66 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
Turbinicarpus valdezianus
Turbinicarpus valdezianus
Turb valdezianus.jpg (150.81 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
Turbinicarpus dickisoniae
Turbinicarpus dickisoniae
turbdickisoniae.jpg (175.19 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
bartab

Re: My Collection of Small Cactus - Fall 2019

Post by bartab »

Here are a few more before I sign off tonight.
Attachments
Escobaria sneedii
Escobaria sneedii
SNEEDII (1).jpg (176.59 KiB) Viewed 3057 times
Coryphantha echinus
Coryphantha echinus
coryechinus.jpg (152.09 KiB) Viewed 3057 times
Coryphantha difficile
Coryphantha difficile
Corydifficile.jpg (156.46 KiB) Viewed 3057 times
Echinomastus laui
Echinomastus laui
laui.jpg (228.82 KiB) Viewed 3057 times
Paul679

Post by Paul679 »

Beautiful!
bartab

Post by bartab »

My Mammillaria hernandezii was in bloom when I came home from work today.
Attachments
Mammillaria hernandezii
Mammillaria hernandezii
HERNANDEZII .jpg (186.7 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
TimN

Post by TimN »

Great selection of plants!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
hegar

Post by hegar »

I like your cactus collection thus far and of course, also those beautiful labels in and on each pot.

Harald
bartab

Post by bartab »

I thought I would take some photos of a few of my Mammillarias. I have a really hard time turning down any small white golf ball cacti, especially albiflora and herrerae. I even came up with a couple of luethyi earlier this summer. Praying this winter is kind to them. I promise to do my best. One of the plants labeled herrera is actually albiflora I believe, but I will wait til it flowers in the spring to change the tag.
Attachments
Mammillaria humboldtii growing some pups!
Mammillaria humboldtii growing some pups!
IMG_8429.jpg (105.98 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
Mammillaria theresae
Mammillaria theresae
IMG_8422.jpg (83.21 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae
Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae
IMG_8418.jpg (83.27 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
Mammillaria herrerae
Mammillaria herrerae
IMG_8426.jpg (79.4 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
Mammillaria luethyi #1
Mammillaria luethyi #1
IMG_8435.jpg (86.86 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
Mammillaria luethyi #2
Mammillaria luethyi #2
IMG_8419.jpg (72.49 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
Mammillaria albiflora mislabeled as hererrae?
Mammillaria albiflora mislabeled as hererrae?
IMG_8433 (1).jpg (100.18 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Very nice, bartab! It looks like you M. luethyi are on their own roots. If so, where did you get them?
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
bartab

Post by bartab »

They are on their own roots. So far doing great but I do know from reading on here they can be a bit touchy. I've found there are some really good sellers on Ebay and I don't mind at all going through them. Some bid situations and Buy it Now auctions can be expensive, but it for sure saves time and gas money not having to drive around and finding the same old selection at stores and time traveling to shows. So I figure it saves me time and money in the long run. The luethyi came from PlantaSeca and I like Kyle's Plants and Teedee Cacti as well. PlantaSeca has some really tougher to find plants listed fairly often. I also have a couple of M. theresae from Kyle's which are beautiful.
keith

Post by keith »

Mammillaria albiflora are usually tall and skinny I think it might be a herrerea ? here is a picture of some old ones I chopped the top of because they became too tall, Mine rarely flower so this is a rare photo from many years ago. Seedlings are really skinny. When yours flowers you will know for sure.
Attachments
M albiflora
M albiflora
IMG_1630.JPG (122.86 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
M albiflora seedlings
M albiflora seedlings
M albiflora.JPG (120.43 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
TimN

Post by TimN »

LOL, you've got my plants! I also have two M. theresae from Kyle and a number of golf balls from Plantaseca. If you don't have one yet, take a look at his M. humboldtii; clumping golf balls! TeeDee auctions seems to have turned into bid sniping festivals, unfortunately.

I wasn't planning on buying any more plants this year, but now that I know Plantaseca has M. leuthyi on it's own roots...
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim