Gymnocalycium mystery

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
eduart

Gymnocalycium mystery

Post by eduart »

A strange thing happened to my Gymnocalycium marsoneri. As usually it started bud formation at the end of October (I’m living in the southern hemisphere), but starting with the first week of January all buds were aborted except for one which (I hope) will flower in 1 – 2 weeks. The strange thing is that - I’ve noticed yesterday – new flower buds are developing now.

It is a very cool summer this year (with maximum temperatures of 18 - 21 C / 64 – 70 F) and quite humid, but nothing like that happened to my other cacti, all flowering size cacti had flowers as usually. I keep my plants in a small greenhouse and I’ve adjusted the watering & fertilizing schedule and the amount of water given to the weather conditions, I have no pests spreading around, I’ve allowed for a good air
circulation by leaving the door always open. And I didn’t move the Gymno from the spot.

As I never experienced something like that before I am quite puzzled. Any idea why my Gymnocalycium behaves like that?
templegatejohn

Flower buds aborting

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Eduart,

I had a similar problem with a Pediocactus despainii and put it down to a lack of water at the right time. This plant produces its flowers buds during the winter period in England and was grouped with a selection of plants that were being rested and kept dry. Hence the lack of water to encourage the buds to continue forming. I believe that marsoneri also needs to be kept a little warmer than many of the Gymnos during its rest period, 50-55f. This could also contribute to the problem. I may be wrong but it's worth thinking about.
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi Templegatejohn,

Somebody suggested that in the bud formation stage the soil temperature needs to be constant and that even few degrees difference in a short period can result in bud drop and then re-budding. And that happened actually for 6 weeks – few hours of hot sun were followed by rapid temp. drop and days of nasty weather. I was thinking of something different – the usually temp. difference between night and day was too small, combined with the increased air moisture during this time. The average temp. during the winter rest was about 9 – 10 C (48 – 50 F) with just a few very cold nights (2 – 3 C / 35 – 37 F) and I kept my G. marsoneri completely dry during this period, but with couple of hours of full sun exposure. Bud formation had started as usually in early spring. Anyway it seems to be a temp. problem. Thanks.
eduart

Post by eduart »

Just a follow up - my G. marsoneri has flowered about one week ago :D

It wasn't like last year's flowering flush, but I'm still very happy. Three new buds are growing quickly.