can I save my cholla? scale problem

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
warnersf

can I save my cholla? scale problem

Post by warnersf »

seemed to happen overnight, my roughly three foot tall cholla is covered with a white and purplish coating, I'm assuming its scale. should I try and save it or remove to hopefully prevent spreading?
Attachments
DE282790-79C7-44B5-9F0E-692CFEDA6CF6_1_105_c.jpeg
DE282790-79C7-44B5-9F0E-692CFEDA6CF6_1_105_c.jpeg (151.81 KiB) Viewed 946 times
Steve Johnson

Re: can I save my cholla? scale problem

Post by Steve Johnson »

Not scale -- see this:

https://cactiguide.com/cactipests/#cochineal

That purplish coating definitely indicates cochineal insects. The systemic mentioned in the linked article is typically Imidacloprid. I give my potted cacti Imidacloprid soil soaks as a preventative every spring, and I capture the runoff so that I can take it to a home hazardous waste facility for disposal. If your cholla is growing in the ground, unfortunately I'd have to recommend against using Imidacloprid.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
abhikjha

Post by abhikjha »

Thanks Steve! Sorry @warnersf for hijacking your thread a bit! I just bought Imidacloprid

(https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07RBW24YW/ref ... 8V7H1E3EC4)

My growing season is all year round, so I will use it probably before the rainy season as damp and wet weather may invite lots of pests. Currently I don't know for what reasons, few ants are roaming around my pots, especially on flowering ones.

Thus I have three questions:
1. The company is advising to use 1ml in 1L water. This dilution sounds fine to you?
2. Do they work against ants?
3. Can it be used as foliar spray?
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll:
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

abhikjha wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:36 amThanks Steve! Sorry @warnersf for hijacking your thread a bit! I just bought Imidacloprid

(https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07RBW24YW/ref ... 8V7H1E3EC4)

My growing season is all year round, so I will use it probably before the rainy season as damp and wet weather may invite lots of pests. Currently I don't know for what reasons, few ants are roaming around my pots, especially on flowering ones.

Thus I have three questions:
1. The company is advising to use 1ml in 1L water. This dilution sounds fine to you?
2. Do they work against ants?
3. Can it be used as foliar spray?
I did the math with your 17.8% Imidacloprid, and 1 ml per L should be okay, although 1.3 ml is better for soil soaks. However, I don't know if you can be that precise about it. Haven't a clue if Imidacloprid works against ants. And yes, it can be used as a foliar spray.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)