Something has been stealing (and I guess) eating my baby chollas

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
DesertDan

Something has been stealing (and I guess) eating my baby chollas

Post by DesertDan »

I had two in a pot on my plant patio and one day about 2 weeks ago I noticed that one of them was gone. I thought maybe it fell under soil but no, it was gone. I have large cholla mom laying down outside my fence, so I grabbed another baby one, this time a little bigger than the 1st two and planted it in place of the one that was gone. Today I noticed that the other smaller one had been obsconded with and the little bigger one had a bite out of the base. So I brought it inside. I did some research nad it said those can be eaten by a pocket mouse or several birds-cactus wren, mockingbird, and gila woodpecker. There are tall trees right outside my apartment, so I theorized that it was probably a bird. I haven't noticed any telltale signs of mice. I noticed a feather one day on the top of the patio fence bar. What do y'all know about this sort of thing? And is there anything I can do to deter birds like this?
greenknight

Re: Something has been stealing (and I guess) eating my baby chollas

Post by greenknight »

Put a bird cage over it.
Spence :mrgreen:
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Although curious birds often disturb or remove small succulents from my collection, they don't usually touch chollas. OTOH, almost all rodents like them, especially pack rats.

I use 2 methods to deal with them; humane traps, and deterrent spray. Growing plants here in the desert comes with having to deal with the wildlife, and using a variety of strategies. Good luck.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

What does a packrat do with a cholla?
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

toadstar wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:39 am What does a packrat do with a cholla?
Although I've never seen them carry them off, I have seen many rodent nests in the desert, and they often are surrounded with cholla branches. There are 2 theories that I've heard of as to why. They like to use them as ornaments, or more likely to deter snakes. .