What are you sowing?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
ohugal

Re: What are you sowing?

Post by ohugal »

Vingames1 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:22 pm How was your germination from ADBLPS seeds?
Overall I had good germination with my ADBLPS seeds. I had no germination with Pterocactus araucanus, Pterocactus megliolii and Puna bonnieae. I did —at a later stage— order another batch of Pterocactus seeds from ADBLPS and had very good results. I sowed P. araucanus, australis, fischeri, gonjianii, hickenii, megliolii, reticulatus and tuberosus. The difference with the first batch was a slightly lower temperature, 25°C instead of 28°C. The seeds were sterilized for 15' in a solution of 9 parts water : 1 part bleach. I also left out any organic material in my sowing substrate the second time around. I ventilate quite early, but bit by bit. As soon as the baggie is completely open and the soil has dried up I water and fertilize intermittently.
Peniocereus viperinus germinated very quickly and the seedlings are already too big for the propagation box.
Setiechinopsis mirabilis and Echinocereus poselgeri also germinated soon, but it takes a while before they develop their first spines. 2 months give or take.
4 out 20 Echinomastus mariposensis germinated, but they appear to need fresh air soon after. One got some orange spots, but it will outgrow these I hope.
One of the things I learned this year is —if you sow in a propagation box— to sow genera which require similar conditions. Instead of mixing a lot of different thing...
I'm also experimenting with sowing substrate and with my latest composition (6 EXPANDED CLAY : 1 BENTONITE : 4 QUARTZ GRIT) I had no issues whatsoever with algae or mold. I don't sterilize my soil and some pots have been in a ziplock bag for several months now. I bought the expanded clay in a pet store. It's used for aquariums and has a grain of 1-2mm. I like it, but it's not cheap.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
ohugal

Re: What are you sowing?

Post by ohugal »

MiguelCactus wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:09 am
ohugal wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:42 pm My reasoning was that, instead of sterilizing the soil, I'd make it more biologically active as opposed to a sterile soil which is more susceptible to pathogens. This is what I'm using: https://www.terraaquatica.com/beneficia ... kologic-2/ https://www.terraaquatica.com/beneficia ... eptologic/ I don't grow in baggies and my propagation chamber is not hermetically sealed. Once in a while I take a peek to see what germinated and what not. It's impractical at times. Baggies allow more control over an individual pot. A single propagation chamber fits 15 pots of 6x6x7 cm.

If you have the time it would be great to see some pictures of your progress at a certain point. I'm curious.

@NinoG: Thank you for information.
Do those microorganism survive drought? I believe that no all beneficial fungi survives the usual conditions of cacti pots with no organic material, extreme hot and long periods of time. It is a really interesting subject and I would love to learn more from it.

Best,
I'm not an expert by any means. I started using it, because I had it lying around. The idea was to have the microorganisms supress pathogens. On the other hand, there is practically no organic matter in sowing substrate, so it could be a measure for nothing. I think the subject needs a more controlled, scientific approach.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a