Cactus smugglers busted

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
jorgeq

Re: Cactus smugglers busted

Post by jorgeq »

Despite being the law, the Mexican laws regarding cacti are pure unadulterated BS. Its so bad that Mexican cacti collectors complain that they have to import seed from Europe for some of their own native rarer species! There is a vibrant cactus hobbyist community in Mexico that is at odds with their own country's laws.

I've been wanting to bring back Pitahaya (Stenocereus) seed, but in the fruit, not seed per se to get around the law. Pitahaya agria or dulce is the best: it beats Dragon Fruit. You can buy on the street when its season in Sonora where my wife is from. My family on my father's side is from Sinaloa. But, I don't think the Mexican law will be a problem bringing cacti fruit (including tunas/opuntia fruit). Its usually USA customs and agriculture people that'll give you potential problems: I've crossed the Tijuana-San Ysidro (San Diego County) border crossing too many times that I care to remember. There obviously is native Mexican fruit you can bring back legally according to Mexican law or there wouldn't be a Mexican agriculture exportation. I however really need to read up on Mexican law as it relates to exporting fruit and if it applies to cacti to make sure my assumptions are correct.

Peter- Its funny you mention John Rebman in your posting (I'm from San Diego originally). I have his BC Plant Field Guide next to my bed along with Pilbeam's recently published BC book. By the way, who is your Mexican collaborator for your work on cochemiea genus?
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

$900 for a legal collection permit, which you are unlikely to get, and a $525 fine for collecting illegally. Which is the cheaper alternative, the maths just don't add up! :shock:
7george

Post by 7george »

DaveW wrote:$900 for a legal collection permit, which you are unlikely to get, and a $525 fine for collecting illegally. Which is the cheaper alternative, the maths just don't add up! :shock:
Exactly!

The sad thing is that many of cacti species will perish in habitats due to different human activities and will survive in some collections after legal and illegal gatherings. Just imagine how many cactuses would be affected if they build a "Great US/Mexican Wall" soon...
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
george76904

Post by george76904 »

7george wrote:
DaveW wrote:$900 for a legal collection permit, which you are unlikely to get, and a $525 fine for collecting illegally. Which is the cheaper alternative, the maths just don't add up! :shock:
Exactly!

The sad thing is that many of cacti species will perish in habitats due to different human activities and will survive in some collections after legal and illegal gatherings. Just imagine how many cactuses would be affected if they build a "Great US/Mexican Wall" soon...
Unfortunately that day looks like it's getting closer and closer to actually happening. Did you know that at one of his rallies recently he asked participants to swear allegiance to him? That is pretty scary by itself, but the scarier part was when the audience did! This sounds erily familiar to something that happened sometime in history... Except trump is not even a decent speaker. If he does end up becoming president I may have to pack up shop here in the States and find a nice quiet archipelago somewhere warm and sunny for the next few years. ;)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Never believe what politicians say George, only what they do once elected!. It's surprising how they modify their position once elected in the light of political realities. The "fighting talk" is just "rabble rousing" to get the disenchanted voting for them. If politicians of all nations had to legally stick to their manifesto's most would be in jail by now!
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

" Ariocarpus fissuratus, or the living rock cactus, is a greenish-gray blob less than 10 centimeters high. It looks like a cow ate, then shoot a bunch of rocks on the ground."
Funny how they described Ariocarpus fissuratus
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy