Plant wild cacti in a garden

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

A little more than a year ago, I visited my brother up in Minnesota. We stopped by the town of St. Cloud where years ago my brother discovered O. fragilis growing on granite outcroppings. We searched and searched and searched and didn't find a one. It was really sad. The small area where they grew was made into a park. I think that collecting was part of it, but mostly they were trampled out of existence by careless visitors running or mountain biking around on the granite, not paying any attention to the world around them.

So what am I saying about collecting from the wild? I would say that there are times when it isn't a problem and there are times when it is. One must be extremely careful in making that decision. But perhaps the biggest problem is greed. Getting some small starts from a wild plant is one thing. Trying to create an instant garden is another. Also, I'd say that even tiny pieces of some plants shouldn't be touched at all -such as Aztekium.

In any case, welcome to the forum Lelle. Any chance you can post some pictures for us? I'll bet most of us have not seen many Canada-native cacti!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
kaktus

Post by kaktus »

daiv wrote:
In any case, welcome to the forum Lelle. Any chance you can post some pictures for us? I'll bet most of us have not seen many Canada-native cacti!

Thanks for the welcoming
Canuck cacti:

CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

wow, thats pretty cool, Canuckti!!

What province are you in huggorm? I grew up in Quebec and never saw a native cacti...mind you that was many years ago and i wasn't looking for them, but man they must be some seriously strong plants to survive those Canadian winters!
kaktus

Post by kaktus »

CoronaCactus wrote:wow, thats pretty cool, Canuckti!!

What province are you in huggorm? I grew up in Quebec and never saw a native cacti...mind you that was many years ago and i wasn't looking for them, but man they must be some seriously strong plants to survive those Canadian winters!
Thanks, im glad you liked it
Im in Saskatchewan
I dont think Quebec have cacti (atleast natural), I believe they reach as far east as s. Ontario (one species)- they are found on the southern prairie belt from sw. Manitoba to B.C.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Hi Huggorm,

Thats a nice looking O. polyacantha you pictured :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I'll bet that would be hardy in your area Bill!
Tony

Post by Tony »

wow! :o now thats a cold harty cac!
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
stephen.prout@uk

Post by stephen.prout@uk »

that was a sad story daiv, shows you that human beings need to tread carefully quite alot of the uk flooded this year possably because theres to meny housing estates and not enough flood medows.
peterb

Post by peterb »

daiv wrote:So what am I saying about collecting from the wild? I would say that there are times when it isn't a problem and there are times when it is. One must be extremely careful in making that decision. But perhaps the biggest problem is greed. Getting some small starts from a wild plant is one thing. Trying to create an instant garden is another. Also, I'd say that even tiny pieces of some plants shouldn't be touched at all -such as Aztekium.
I guess I would put this slightly differently. Collecting from the wild is *always* a problem. It's only justified when it is *less* of a problem than a problem existing in the wild (like the installation of a dam that will flood the habitat, plant rescues, removing rare species from cattle grazing areas, etc.) Or for valid scientific research purposes.

In my opinion there's no reason to dig up a plant from habitat merely because one wants that particular plant or form. There is such a vast wealth of propagated plant material and seeds available from the trade that it's completely unnecessary.

peterb
stephen.prout@uk

Post by stephen.prout@uk »

thats a very vaild point its just a shame when nothing is done to rescue plants/animals from such hazzards
kaktus

Post by kaktus »

There are laws against illegal collecting and there are quite a few arrests so I wouldnt say nothing is done about it.
But the biggest risk for any species, fauna or flora, is habitat destruction - as always.

For all that are totally against collecting - your own plants at home once came from collected plants.
So in a way you support it as long as you keep wild plants at home.

One more thing, I dont like beeing called greedy - if I were greedy I'd collect a number of boxes full and start a cacti export business. But I dont do that.

Last post on this topic from me :)
Have a nice day everyone!
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- It's a touchy topic. :roll:

Good point about *all* plants coming from the wild. I think I tend to forget this because the nursery trade is so deeply committed now to seed grown, greenhouse bred plants. I guess what I meant was that now there is so much plant material available from reputable sources that wild collecting just for hobbyists is not necessary. I once had a nightmare that the federal government of the world (we don't have one of those yet, I don't think!) knocked on my door and informed me that I had to return all of my plants to their original natural habitats at my own expense, or spend the next 40 years in jail. I got out a world map (for some reason it was in my sock drawer, what would Freud say?) and began to trace the path I would have to take all over North America, Mexico, South America, to Africa, Madagascar and so on.

peterb
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Lelle,
I was not directing that (greed) comment towards you! I apologize if it came across that way. I was generalizing about collecting as we all were. I was thinking more historically about the digging of large Saguaros and other plants before there were laws to help protect them.

It would be rather odd for me to call you greedy in one sentence and then turn around and welcome you to the forum don't you think?

This is a sensitive subject and as you agree it is a real issue. You see that here we have mixed views, but the members here are quite respectful to each other. Have a thorough look through various topics here and you will see that we are friendly.

Daiv
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

daiv wrote:I'll bet that would be hardy in your area Bill!
Yep, I have several varieties of polyacantha :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it