Suggestions for new contests

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
faslimy

Post by faslimy »

could just focus on a genus again like the Mammillaria one, or even a species.. the contest could go on forever.
taliesin

Post by taliesin »

How about an interesting rib contest :?: Hairiest cacti (and i don't mean any that have accidently combed the dog or cat) :?: cristate :?: unusual colour; variegations etc :?:

well, thats my tuppence worth :D
someone pass me the tweezers!
hablu

Post by hablu »

A suggestion, but perhaps you already had this. Bowls with all kind of cacti and succulents. Another one: most of us are going places during summertime; the nicest pic. related with cacti and succulents. greets Harry
hablu

another suggestion

Post by hablu »

Another suggestion: sucs and cacs with animals.Harry
Franj

Post by Franj »

I like the cacti in the wild idea, easy for me, I live in Arizona. What would the rules be? Does it have to be a real native seed grown natural cacti? The reason I'm asking is that the Desert Museum here has planted a lot of non native cacti. Not landscaping but natural, a native habitat look as opposed to the tended botanical garden look.

Franj
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Franj & All,
For the next contest, I wanted to do a double feature - Two contests at the same time.

We will have one be "Wild Cacti" with a focus on cacti grown in the wild. (This isn't habitat shots -that will be another contest -just focus on a cactus or two.) That will be contest 11A. At the same time we'll do "Domestic Cacti". These will have to be cacti in pots. Again, the focus will be on a single plant. We will eventually do a Cactus Collection contest were we can submit our best overview shot of at least part of our own collections.

Contestants can enter one or the other or both! So start looking through your images now! We'll kick it off this Sunday!

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Daiv,

I think that you've left out a large part of the potential subject matter, such as plants in the ground under cultivation. Possibly on purpose, but . . .
Buck Hemenway
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Buck,
Remember I've been to your place so I know where you're comming from... 8)

However that was on purpose -it will make for a good future contest. The reason I thought we should do two is because a lot of our members in colder climates couldn't compete with the ground pots, but everyone can do a potted plant. As for the Cacti in the Wild, that might end up with only a handful of submissions, so the double-feature was only a logical choice.

Don't worry Buck -we'll do a Domestic Ground Cacti contest soon. :wink:

Daiv
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Daiv wrote
We will have one be "Wild Cacti" with a focus on cacti grown in the wild. (This isn't habitat shots -that will be another contest -just focus on a cactus or two.)
I may be dense but what is the distinction here? -- In the wild vs habitat -- Do you imagine closeups of habitat plants?? or ???

And "grown in the wild" which implies some intervention OR, "growing in the wild" which implies .. as nature has provided.

Inquiring minds wish to know

GeneS
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Gene,

As I understand it, these should be specimen shots, not habitat, this is where they grow shots. Right Daiv?
Buck Hemenway
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes Buck -That is right. I have to admit that Spiniflores (Juan and Florencia) were influential in this decision. The first thing that came to mind was the breathtaking landscape shots of thousands of Copiapoa leaning toward the sun. Then I thought about some of the close up shots like the Eriosyce nearly invisible in the soil.

So I figured that it would be best to split the two (landscape/habitat vs. focusing on a plant that's growing wild)

So I am not saying let's not do a contest with domestic garden plants or habitat shots, but let's spread it out over a couple contests to get a chance to submit more entries.

Does that make more sense?
cactijoe

How about...............?

Post by cactijoe »

How about a "Top Ten" list on "Why Cactus are Better than a Husband/Wife?"

Gals have the same shot as us guys at winning this one. -Joe
Top Ten Reasons a Cactus is Better than a Wife:
1. Cactus can only make your life a living hell if you are close enough to touch them.
hablu

Post by hablu »

Hi Daiv, seen on Cactuspro: the subject: "red". Maybe a good one for here too. greets Harry
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

I like it. We're kind of doing "orange" now. Maybe we should formalize it.

GeneS
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ok, yes we are overdue for a contest! So let's do that.

Shall we go with Orange then? Any other thoughts. I will start this one on The 10th.

Daiv