Contest 41: Discussion and related photos

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Tony wrote:Shmuel,
I believe it is Pilosocereus lanuginosus, Im still waiting for flowers to confirm that, but its deffinatly different than what you have.
Every time I see this plant, I see it named as P. tillianus. I realize it's sunken under P. languinosus now, but plants with that name look quite different.
CoronaCactus

Re: how come??

Post by CoronaCactus »

Lee wrote:I just think these photo contests are great to get and see the different and beautiful looking plants that are around. I am not crying or being sarcastic and speaking for myself but how can people in this latest contest compete with entries that are not from their own personal collections?? I beleive that there should be a more specific plan to some of these contests and state weather they are from personal collections or out in the wild or greenhouse grown What do ya think just my two cents

caution. don't drink beer and play with spines on the same day!
Well, I've looked at these contests differently. I've always considered context rather than content. Does not matter if the plant is in your GH, your garden or something growing by the side of the road, it's about the composition of the photo. I don't mean that in a professional photograph way.

However, I do understand your concern and I will adjust select future contests.
John C

Post by John C »

daiv wrote:More excellent submissions. Mildbil - I really like that Coryphanta. What an amazing story. It must think it is growing in the crack of a big rock or something. Pefectly happy coming out the side.
Yes, thats one very nice clump!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
CactusJordi

Post by CactusJordi »

Ok Lee,

Here you are. An Echinocereus triglochidiatus fa. paucispina grown from a small cutting to that size in 7 years in my yard:Image
But I think this is not a best plant (bragging) contest but a photo contest!

Jordi
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That is a good point Lee and worth discussing.

Here is how I look at it. Of the 40 contests that we've had so far, only about 6 of of the winners are habitat shots. For sure less than 10.

In this way, your chances of winning are 75% if you enter your own plant and 25% if you use a habitat picture.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Contest picture or not, that's one beautiful plant Jordi!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

I live in a crappy cacti climate, have a real small collection with no greenhouse yet I've managed to win 2 contests. :dontknow:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Andy_CT wrote:I live in a crappy cacti climate, have a real small collection with no greenhouse yet I've managed to win 2 contests. :dontknow:
Hey that's true! What's up with that? You must really be greasing Darryl up! :P :lol:
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

haha, I had been waiting for this one, I thought finally one I can also contribute to.
seems I wasn't the only one, what an overwhelming amount of pictures!
I don't stand a chance! however, it's fun to compete.
i like the gymnocalicium damsii it looks cool
thanks! it was given to me last summer, you can imagine I was very happy! it has buds coming too!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Reina accidentally posted two images in the contest part. This was meant to go here in the "alternate" section:
one more...

Echinocereus scheeri (probably scheeri): Sonora, Mexcio

Lee

bad aqrea

Post by Lee »

daiv wrote:
Andy_CT wrote:I live in a crappy cacti climate, have a real small collection with no greenhouse yet I've managed to win 2 contests. :dontknow:
Hey that's true! What's up with that? You must really be greasing Darryl up! :P :lol:
I can appreciate your thoughts and I realize one thing.....I believe most of you plants are in pots right?? Did the plants that won were they in your collection and not out in the wild somewhere. I just thought that the contest should be on home/garden grown and not wild. It takes a lot of effort on the growers part..like you...to cultivate and grow cactus where they are not from. I still love this
Lee P
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I had better get cracking. I need to talk to my ex's Mom and see if I can get her to give me a pic of her hedgehog cacti...I believe its the same one that Peter has on his alternates posting...E. englemanni

I could post an alternate of her cacti right now and show ya what a nice clump it is...
or at least in a little bit anyways.

I need to go hiking first. :)

Ok I am back from my hike.

here's a few pics that I wont use that I thought were neat. :) Call them my alternates.:)
Image Look at this parent plant with all the other types of babies underneath it.
Here is a nice E. engelmanni I believe.Image
and finally some future clumps of M. grahmii?
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Not often to see a multi head Ferocactus wislizeni. Here are 5 heads on one root!

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
hoven5th

Post by hoven5th »

Now that the deadline has passed, when will the voting start?
Beginner
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Today.