Contest 51: Discussion and Related Pictures

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
John C

Post by John C »

Really great pics so far, everyone! :) Contest ends friday so get your pictures in soon. And, remember that it will end at midnight central time.
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

peter, that image was taken about three years ago, and it was the first time I ever noticed the birth of an arm. I agree, it looks very painful, but it's funny how natural the arms look after they have developed. I don't know if that makes any sense.
Lair3514

Confused, as usual...

Post by Lair3514 »

Can someone tell me if there is a technical term for the new-growth fuzzies on Opuntia pads? I assume they function mainly to discourage wildlife from dining on the pads since they grow mainly from the areoles on the perimeter?
And, can someone help me with ID of cholla I used in contest? This is a different photo than one I submitted but same plant. C. spinosior? Thank you very much.
Tony

Post by Tony »

I think it could be C. spinosior, where was the photo taken? Location data could help narrow it down.

Those new growth fuzzies are called glochids.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Lair3514

Post by Lair3514 »

Tony said: I think it could be C. spinosior, where was the photo taken? Location data could help narrow it down.
Photo was taken just north of Ft. Lowell Park, Tucson AZ (02/15/11). There is a confluence of Tanque Verde and Pantano Washes into Rillito Wash, which is to say no water most of the year but running water for a day or two with a good rain. This particular cactus grows along far edge of wash probably out of reach of all but the raging monsoon flows.

Thank you for "glochids."
CactusJordi

Post by CactusJordi »

Para,
Your Aloe photo certainly would deserve the first price but it's actually not permitted in this competition :wink: :P

Jordi
Paracelsus

Post by Paracelsus »

Oops. I guess I should have read the description a little more carefully. Entry withdrawn.

I've still got a little time to find something to compete with your fabulous spiral plant, Jordi. ;-)

Brad
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

tumamoc wrote:peter, that image was taken about three years ago, and it was the first time I ever noticed the birth of an arm. I agree, it looks very painful, but it's funny how natural the arms look after they have developed. I don't know if that makes any sense.
neat. If I had a scanner I Could scan in some photos I took with a throwaway no digital camera a number of years ago and take a current pic of an arm on one of my saguaros arms. It's been growing for around 6 years! :) IT's a neat process to watch. For a long time it was a tiny fuzz ball, now it's around 8-10 inches long! :)

(it makes plenty of sense. Until we watched it first hand have no idea what a baby arm looks like!)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
SkyClan Cat

Post by SkyClan Cat »

It looks like I just missed the deadline... sad because I just now found the contest and took a picture for it. Well, here it is anyway because it's cool.

Man, it would've been fun to enter a contest with a new plant. Maybe I'll get the next one...
Jens

Post by Jens »

SkyClan Cat wrote:It looks like I just missed the deadline... sad because I just now found the contest and took a picture for it. Well, here it is anyway because it's cool.

Man, it would've been fun to enter a contest with a new plant. Maybe I'll get the next one...
Hi, SkyClan Cat
The february contest will end today February the 18th at midnite Central Standart Time. So you could still post the picture for the contest if you would like to.

Jens
SkyClan Cat

Post by SkyClan Cat »

Ah, okay, thanks! I was thinking it meant midnight as soon as it turned February 18! I'll go enter, then! :D
Scottyzx12

Post by Scottyzx12 »

I suppose the growth on my Pereskiopsis could have made into the contest :)
ImageImage
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Missed it by a day here too as I just today, 19th here downunder, spotted a tiny branch starting to grow down on the base on my M. geometrizans. No more than a month ago I had to cut one of it's 3 main branches because it was growing to big for the main stem and starting to pull the whole thing over.

Edit: scratch that. Had a closer look today and it seems I have 3 new branches that are starting off :shock:
Jens

Post by Jens »

Congrats on the winning picture Jordi! :occasion7:
Great shots everyone!:toothy4:
Next contest will be coming up soon.
Jens