A small collection: 2015 and beyond

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Steve Johnson

Christmas cactus of a different sort

Post by Steve Johnson »

I was not expecting this -- Copiapoa tenuissima blooming way out of season a week before Christmas:

A closeup of the flower:

We'll get a more in-depth look at the tenuissima in a later installment of my 2019 review. In the meantime...

Since I put the new portable greenhouse up on my plant bench's "annex", I just wanted to show you the setup. Whenever there's rain in the immediate forecast, the fronts go on. Then after the rain clears out, they come off. The GHs in action on a rainy Thanksgiving weekend (11/28), and open for business when I got the flowering tenuissima on camera:

Although you might not see it in the righthand shot, those clouds looked kinda threatening. But no, not yet -- my next chance of rain in the forecast will be starting on Sunday, so the fronts go back on Saturday night. The rain is supposed to keep going through Christmas Day, and for those of us SoCal folks who love rainy winters, rain on Christmas is a special treat!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Steve Johnson

2019 End-of-summer review (Part 3)

Post by Steve Johnson »

Forgot to include a little something in Part 2...

When October heat keeps going into the following month, Astrophytum myriostigma will favor us by ending its long blooming period with a flower in November. Case in point -- not one, but a "twofer" on 11/8:

The cactus with the papery spines you see on the lower left will begin Part 3. But first, let's investigate those big beautiful blooms:

More from the California Cactus Center (June 2011) If you've been around Tephros for awhile, you'll know that they like to drop segments as their preferred method of propagation. Don't know about other members of the genus, but it seems papyracanthus (more commonly known as the "paper-spine" cactus) is rather generous about spreading the "cactus wealth" in that regard. Mine certainly is, so here are a few examples of what I get to see every year.

2 new segments in spring followed by a good summer of growth -- 5/19 and 10/21/18:

That's 7 segments in total, rather impressive for my paper-spine. Now we'll move forward to 2019, as the plant got the drop on me (literally) that March. Lose a segment, gain a new segment (4/13):

A segment detaching itself when it got pushed out by another new one (6/23):

The view on 7/4:

Okay, we're back to the paper-spine's high point of 7 segments. T. papyracanthus needs 8 in order to flower -- haven't seen mine bloom yet, but we're sooooo close. We'll use this pic as a "before" and match it up with an "after" on 8/31:

Nerts! Here's what we have left in the the paper-spine's most recent shot on 10/6:

Gravity being what it is, I have a feeling that the 2 segments on the left will drop. If the plant can configure itself to grow up, not shooting off to the side, it may be able to gain the 8 segments it needs to stay intact long enough for a bloom. While I'm not holding my breath for that one, witnessing my very first paper-spine flower would be awfully nice.
  • Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus var. polaskii and pseudomacrochele ssp. krainzianus -- link from 2018 review Part 13
Turbs are slow growers in general, and I think polaskii might be the slowest. A year of growth may not even be enough to show up on camera, so let's give it 5 -- 4/3/15 and 10/13/19:

Not exactly a prolific bloomer either, although the polaskii didn't flower as much this season as it has in previous years. At least I can give you a pretty little bloom on 9/20:

Big news about the krainzianus last year can be found in the above link. Let's see how those new pups are doing -- 10/20/18 and 10/12/19:

The new pups aren't quite mature enough to flower yet, but the oldest pup bloomed for the first time on 8/2/18. The cheeky little devil at it again on 8/10/19:

Image First photo on 9/27/11:

Hard to believe how much it's grown over the years -- spanning 2 of them on 9/17/17, 10/21/18, and 10/13/19:

What's that little one on the base? I thought it was a pup, but no -- it's a seedling:

If you think that's a baby E. senilis, think again. Yep, we actually have a hybrid, and the cactus that "knocked boots" with E. senilis Sr. might surprise you. The seedling should go into its own pot, although not something I'll do since we just started winter. This is a project I'll leave for March, at which point I'll give you the full story. By the way -- I'm not normally a fan of hybrid cacti, but the one growing from seed on my watch is something I'll definitely hold onto.

It's not the first time Sr. got busy with another cactus, as I came to discover when the plant issued a new seedling that sprouted in the summer of 2012. Here it is on 9/15/12, and no doubt about it -- that's a "purebred" (9/21/13):

E. senilis Jr. growing up nicely on 9/20/15 and 10/13/19:

The view from above -- same "after" date, and the "before" on 3/10/17 shows Jr.'s growth point wide open for early spring business:

Jr. isn't quite mature enough to flower yet, but this winter may be the time. Sr. starts setting buds in February, so you know what I'll be on the lookout for. E. senilis flowers are drop-dead gorgeous, and it'd be marvelous if both of them bloom at the same time. First photo on 9/27/11:

Another "hard to believe" moment when I saw the rauschii go from looking like it was on death's door that winter to growing pup after pup after pup starting in July 2012. Moving the plant from terracotta to glazed ceramic in March 2015, then "potted up" 2 years later -- the growth has continued to be amazing (9/20/15 and 10/6/19):

My rauschii is good for 2 or 3 new pups per year -- the latest additions to its brood front-and-center on 10/6:

Image First photo on 9/27/11:

The Old Man started out as a young man standing at barely 4" (10 cm.) tall. He sure has grown up well -- the view on 9/17/16, 10/8/17, 10/21/18, and 10/12/19:

I'm a metrologist by trade, and it's my nature to measure all kinds of things with a good amount of precision. If you won't mind indulging "Mr. OCD's" penchant for measuring the plant's growth rate, I'll add numbers with a trend line and put them onto those pics:

Ever since major improvements in my growing practice began to "bear fruit" in 2012, the vast majority of surprises have been pleasant ones, but occasionally they're not pleasant at all. In the Old Man's case, I assumed that acclimating him from 8 years of being under 40% shade cloth on the plant bench to full sun on the table this summer shouldn't be a problem. Turns out I was wrong, so I'm dealing with a situation I didn't expect. Rather than go into the details here, you can see them here. That story is by no means over, so you may want to check in from time to time for the latest developments. Probably not much of that during winter, but hopefully some good ones after the next growing season begins.

We'll end today's installment with this...

Red and green -- the colors of Christmas being exhibited by my red-headed Irishman on the official first day of Winter 2019:

With buds setting (and more on the way), the Irishman should be flowering in earnest next month, so I may have a little New Year's cactus party for you soon. In the meantime, my very best wishes to all of you for a merry Christmas!

If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Sarraceniacrazy

Re: A small collection: 2015 and beyond

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

Love the before and after shots! Beautiful collection.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Sarraceniacrazy wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:13 am Love the before and after shots! Beautiful collection.
Thanks, my friend! My talent for precision measuring is what makes a lot of these before-and-after photos possible. I never get tired of doing it either, so I'll keep 'em going. :D
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

As 2019 is about to end, I just wanted to share this beautiful shot of the Sonoran desert in winter with y'all:

One of these days, I'll have to actually go there myself.

Best wishes to all of you for a happy, healthy 2020!

Steve Johnson

2019 End-of-summer review (Part 4)

Post by Steve Johnson »

Another round from the California Cactus Center First photo on 9/27/11:

My M. grahamii goes through a couple of changes. The first takes place every year, when the plant loses a lot of water during winter dormancy, then gets it back in the growing season. Here's the most recent example of that behavior on 3/30 and 4/7/19:

The second change is something I described in Part 10 of the 2018 review. Since it also applies to another columnar Mamm in my collection, I'll show you both "leaning towers of Mammillaria" as they come out of their winter droop (3/30)...

...and respond to a season of growth and regular watering (8/10):

(We'll investigate the perezdelarosae in a later post.) That's as close to upright as they'll get at the height of summer, and when it ends, they'll start drooping again. The grahamii leans toward the south, so here's a side shot demonstrating its southward lean as the plant is just beginning to lose water on 10/13:

It's always fun to watch the grahamii go from winter shriveling to spring plumping, so I'll try and get it on camera for you again. This also brings up an interesting question: Has the plant attained its maximum size, or will it continue to grow longer? Using the 10/13 photo as our new benchmark, I'll give you the answer at the end of this summer. First photo on 7/16/11:

Of the 3 Copiapoas I have in my collection, C. hypogaea is the slowest. And how slow is it? Let's find out -- spanning 3 years of growth on 9/18/16, 9/29/17, 9/29/18, and 10/13/19:

Same dates with a view from above:

Once Copiapoas start growing pseudocephalia, you'll know they're mature enough to bloom. It was a pleasure to see the parent stem flowering for the first time in August 2018, although the oldest pup's brand-new pseudocephalium wasn't quite ready for that yet. A bit disappointing not to see any flowers last summer, but at least a closeup of the parent stem shows us some decent pseudocephalium growth going from 9/29/18 to 10/13/19:

This very slow-growing species is slow about offsetting too, but give it enough time, and I have a feeling that a new pup will appear in the near future. First photo on 4/10/12:

AKA the famous "pine cone" cactus, it (like my paper-spine Tephro) is good for 1 or 2 new segments per year. On 4/1 and 5/13/17, a new segment growing the oddest pine cone I've ever seen:

The view on 10/20/18 and 10/13/19:

You'll notice the pine cone's newest segment on the left of the 10/13 pic. Here it is in its early-growth stage on 7/4:

On 7/16 and 8/24 -- I love how the skin colors change:

Another angle of the plant with the new segment pointing right at us (10/13):

Compared to the paper-spine, my pine cone isn't as prone to dropping segments. After spending a lot of time observing both Tephros, I learned something that should clue us in -- if the juncture looks thin, the segment will be likely to drop. But if the juncture looks nice and thick, dropping probably won't happen. Based on what I'm seeing, I don't think the pine cone will be dropping segments anytime soon, and I hope it stays that way. First photos on 4/3 and 5/30/12:

Getting bigger and more beautiful every year -- 9/20/15 and 10/6/19:

Same date on the "after" with a before on 9/17/16:

Doing a "runway turn" on 10/6/19:

The longispina is the most prolific bloomer of my Rebutia/Sulco group, and it should put on quite a display for us in spring.

Before we return to the summer of 2019, here are a few items for the new year...

Turbinicarpus valdezianus setting a bud:

Turb pseudopectinatus setting 2:

The red-headed Irishman kicking off 2020 with a pretty little pink flower:

Sarraceniacrazy

Post by Sarraceniacrazy »

Happy New year Steve! Love looking at your updates.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Sarraceniacrazy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:23 am Happy New year Steve! Love looking at your updates.
You're not the only one, as I can tell by the number of new pages views coming in whenever I post here. I'm incredibly grateful for all the cactus friends following my work, and my sincerest thanks to all of you! :D
Steve Johnson

Already?

Post by Steve Johnson »

Yes, already -- my Eriosyce senilis usually sets buds in February, but I was quite pleasantly surprised to see this today:

If your powers of observation are good, you'll notice 8 (possibly 9) brand-new buds. E. senilis is known to bloom in several flushes, although mine hasn't done it more than once per year. But with buds in January, the flush they produce could lead to more buds and another round of blooms in early spring. As to E. senilis Jr., I haven't seen its first bud yet, so I'll keep a close eye out in case it decides to join Sr. with a flower of its own.
Edwindwianto

Re: 2019 End-of-summer review (Part 3)

Post by Edwindwianto »

Steve Johnson wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:00 am If you've been around Tephros for awhile, you'll know that they like to drop segments as their preferred method of propagation.
A segment detaching itself when it got pushed out by another new one (6/23):
Wow...thanks for the info, Steve
I've never knew this one
Steve Johnson

2019 End-of-summer review (Part 5)

Post by Steve Johnson »

In April 2012, I started to expand my buying horizons beyond the confines of the California Cactus Center in Pasadena. With that in mind, we'll begin this presentation with the first 2 of 13 cacti...

From CoronaCactus Nursery That link gives you the story of my Turb polaskii family, and since we already covered recent events with the California Cactus Center polaskii, let's follow up with the gem Darryl Craig sent my way on 4/27/12. And compared to the little young man from Pasadena, the polaskii "momma" isn't quite as slow -- 9/20/15, 9/29/17, 10/21/18, and 10/13/19:

The view from above on 9/20/15 and 10/13/19:

The difference between my 2 polaskiis is rather striking:

Are they even the same species? We can tell by the flowers:

Yep, those are polaskiis.

The CoronaCactus plant with a wide-open flower on 8/25/19:

Usually blooming in ones or twos, the CoronaCactus polaskii gives us a rare "threefer" on 8/10:

Image First photo on 5/6/12:

I give Darryl endless amounts of credit for introducing me to the pumice/decomposed granite mix that was a real game-changer for the collection in 2012. The mistake I made was inadvertently keeping residual DG "play sand" fines in the mix, which led to problems caused by a so-called "dirty" mineral mix I had to correct. I discussed this issue at great length in my 2018 review, so I don't want to belabor the subject too much here. However, it's worth a follow-up with certain cacti, the odieri being one of them. Still in "dirty" mix on 9/20/14, then after 5 months after the change to clean mineral mix on 9/20/15:

DG "play sand" is a lousy substitute for soil, but in this case, my odieri acted like it was soil -- its pronounced dome-like appearance is consistent with growing the species in a soil-based mix. After I gave the plant a potful of clean mix, it flattened out, and what you see on the right is a more natural look for odieri growing in pure, clean mineral mix. Now we'll take the "after", turn it into a "before", and compare it with the results on 10/6/19:

Being a very slow grower, your powers of observation need to be pretty good to know that the plant has been growing. A side view isn't exactly the best anyway, so let's try this bird's-eye view on 9/20/14 and 10/6/19:

Okay, that's better! Something nice going on at the growing point, so we'll do a close-up investigation from 9/23/18 to the end of the odieri's following summer:

Slow growers tend to also be slow about responding to changes in what we do -- the slower they are, the longer it takes. For example, the Turb krainzianus we reviewed in Part 3 took 3 years in clean mineral mix before it demonstrated significant above-ground improvement with 3 brand-new pups. For the odieri, it was 3 1/2 years, and wonderful to finally see this kind of new activity on the plant's growing point. Since it seems to be on an upward growth trajectory, we'll see what it gives us at the end of another summer. My only complaint, shriveled tubercles are evidence of flat mites having fun at the odieri's expense. While I do try to keep the flat mite problem under control, it's really not much of a problem, so this is just a minor complaint.

The last of the California Cactus Center plants (May 2012) First photo on 5/6/12:

The north-facing side on 10/8/17 and 10/6/19...

... followed by the south-facing side and a view from above -- same "after" date, the "befores" are on 9/24/16:

To repeat what I said in the 2018 review -- oddly enough, the micromerises are my only cacti still growing in "dirty" mineral mix. Given how well they're doing, is it possible they've actually been eating the DG fines? Even so, clean mix would be better. I'm starting to get the impression that the seedling are on the verge of crowding the pot, so it may be decision time to give them a good home this spring. If I do, my friends at Desert Creations will be able to help, then it'll be time to repot the parent plant in clean mineral mix. Ooh, I'd love to check out those roots! And when I see them, you will too. First photo on 5/6/12:

M. deherdtiana is supposed to be the slowest-growing member of the genus. True when we're talking about solitary plants, but when they offset under cultivation, deherdtiana isn't as slow as one might think. This could blow your mind a little bit -- 9/17/16 and 10/6/19 on the north-facing side...

...south-facing side...

...west-facing side...

...and we'll top it off with an aerial view:

It was interesting to note the absence of pups on the east-facing side, prompting a little cactus humor I posted on 7/14/15:

Vacancies gradually being filled on 9/17/16 and 10/6/19:

M. deherdtiana is quite a prolific bloomer, and its flowers are drop-dead gorgeous. With a generous springtime blooming period that can sometimes go well into summer, this beautiful cactus is one of the stars in my collection. Another star is about to show you a thing or two, so that'll come up soon.

No disrespect to the good folks at the California Cactus Center, but I decided that I wouldn't buy plants there anymore. CoronaCactus became my sole source over the rest of 2012, so we'll review more of the cacti coming from Darryl in Part 6.
Steve Johnson

The darling buds of February

Post by Steve Johnson »

And yes, there's blooming involved. Going by flower size, we'll begin today's presentation with small ones on 3 of my Mammillarias.

M. crucigera on 1/31, then 3 pretty blooms all in a row (2/18):

M. perezdelarosae with a headful of buds (2/2), then a few blooms popping out on 2/18:

A "helicopter" shot on 2/21:

Also on 2/21 -- M. spinossissima:

Gymnocactus ysabelae starting to get busy:

From buds (2/2) to blooms (2/11):

We'll take the "after" and use it as a "before" to see the flowers opening wider in this "after" pic on 2/15...

...followed by this 2/15 view from the side:

Next, we have a mid-sized flower -- Turbinicarpus valdezianus with buds on 2/2, then one in bloom on 2/15, 18, and 21:

A bird's-eye view on 2/15...

...then once again on 2/18 and 21:

Okay, we're getting into the big stuff. Stenocactus lloydii (2/15):

A close-up of the buds:

And a bloom on 2/20:

The lloydii's flower wants to play hide-and-seek in the spines, eh? We'll do something about that:

Here's a better side view of the flower, with a bud getting closer to doing its thing (2/21):

Now for the star of our late-winter show, Eriosyce senilis. As I mentioned in one of my posts last month, I was pleasantly surprised to see the senilis set buds ahead of its usual schedule. There they are on 1/12, and what you see on 2/2 is the plant breaking a record for the number of buds on their way to a flush:

Zooming in on where the action is, with a bud starting to open on 2/18:

A side view on 2/21 -- interesting to note that the first 3 flowers are pointing south:

Of course we can't see them in their full glory that way, so we'll turn the senilis around:

Not quite done with February, and since we have more buds on their way to blooming, we'll keep this party going.
Steve Johnson

The party continues

Post by Steve Johnson »

Here we are at the end of February, and since you already know the names, I'll just give you the dates starting on the 24th:

2/26:

2/27:

Our month ending with a bang on 2/28:

After the marvelous rains we got over the holidays, I was looking forward to a cold, wet winter. On the one hand, it was kinda depressing to see how warm and dry SoCal's conditions have been over the last couple of months. On the other hand, the collection is already showing signs of life, so my cacti should be getting their first deep drench of the year in about 2 weeks. Yes indeed, springtime is almost here!
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thanks for sharing it, Steve, interesting as always!
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Thank you for sharing, I enjoy seeing photos of your wonderful plants with all their lovely details! I wish they always thrive and bloom for you!
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb