Mailing seeds to USA

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mike A

Mailing seeds to USA

Post by Mike A »

Are there any problems with it?
daiv
Site Admin

Mailing Seed

Post by daiv »

Here is a message from the president of our local Cactus club. This guy has quite a bit of knowledge on this subject. Here is the message:

Hi,

Seed import is a bit touchy, especially if they are cites I or II species.

I have mailed and received a lot of seed around the world. The key seems to be small batches.

I usually make a cardboard insert for a #10 envelope and cut out some holes or squares in it. You can put a bit of tape across one side, drop in some seeds, and tape over the top. It then goes as a letter and usually will survive the automated canceling machines. I have gotten seeds that were layered in a bit of bubble wrap an in an envelope, and arrived as flour!

I also have sent and received small parcels using mailer pouches. Depends a little on where they are going. If you go the package route, minimal markings and a customs declaration that says something like "gift", or "sample, no commercial value" etc. For the letter method, simply put on a stamp and send it.