pvc greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Hiro

pvc greenhouse

Post by Hiro »

I have been thinking about building a greenhouse out of pvc. somewhere i can put some plants and cacti for the summer i wanna build something cheap to start with i have a spot in the back yard that gets full sun all day. has any one else built one of these? can i use plastic tarp to cover it or do i need specal plastic? any one have any tips or sites i could get some info from?
iann

Post by iann »

You can use just about anything that lets the light through but some plastics will last a lot longer than others. Ideally you want a UV-coated plastic, otherwise it will go yellow in a matter of months in a sunny climate. Even the strongest flexible plastics are likely to need replacing every few years.

Think about ventilation. You might want something barely more than a roof in a warm humid climate. In cooler climates, a more enclosed structure will give you plenty of heating in the day.
--ian
Hiro

Post by Hiro »

ok thanks i'll probably start with a tarp from homedepo then and change it if it needs it i'll have to think about vents or maybe just lift up the walls in the dead of summer
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hiro, if I remember, you are in Canada is that right?

(You should update your profile so I don't have to remember :wink: )

Anyway, here in Minnesota I built a greenhouse using a wood frame and plastic sheeting that my brother had leftover from his construction days.

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7420

I can't speak to PVC, but I'm sure that would make a good frame.

For the plastic, however, do not just use anything. Get greenhouse specific plastic. The stuff you see on mine, didn't even last one year and it just fell to pieces. You won't spend that much more for the greenhouse stuff anyway.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I started on my greenhouse today actually. I'm going to do the roof with this kind of stuff:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Sole ... CPC%2DSL3/

And then use greenhouse sheeting for the rest of it like this stuff:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/Gree ... ucts/1033/
Hiro

Post by Hiro »

thanks daiv i might steal your idea of the side's opening up your green house looks good i was just thinking pvc caus it's easy i have to go to homedepo and price things out.
keep me posted on how that solexx works might be my next step if i can find it around me.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey now you are officially in Canada! :wink:

I don't know if Solexx is the brand I'll end up with, but it will be that material.

Having sides that open was my brother's idea actually. I like that it can be opened partway to vent or that the panels can be removed entirely.

Since the frame was wood, I used storm window hangers for the side panels, but with PVC, you could easily devise a means of opening the sides. In fact, you could attach them with just wire ties at the top. Use a bungee cord to hold it closed and then just swing it out a certain amount for more or less ventalation.

I think PVC would make an excellent lightweight frame.
TimN

Post by TimN »

I used PVC on my cactus "shelter" and it has held up fine in the AZ sun.

pictures here: http://cid-4b3d3b034c284cce.skydrive.li ... 284CCE!282

It needs support for horizontal or sloped sections, but it's cheap-ish and easy to work with. The heaviest thing it has to put up with here is rain.

The pictures show it covered in plastic, it's been covered in shade cloth since about 3 months after I put it up.. I put a plastic sheet on the top in the winter this year to keep the rain out.

So, depending on conditions, PVC is a good choice. There are lots of plans for PVC green houses on the internet. I looked at a those and came up with my own method (for better or worse).
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Daiv's link to the solexx stuff didn't work for me, but if it is the stuff I think it is, it should be a good choice. I was looking at it for another project and decided that it was my best choice if I wanted a multi- wall covering -- effective, not too horribly expensive, and the shipping cost is way less than comparable rigid panels.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That is because it is an old 2009 post. This got resurrected by a spammer. They are now slipping in with content-related posts and then they include some sort of link on their signature. Probably more concerned about getting search engine links than actual people clicking. :x
TimN

Post by TimN »

Huh. I didn't have much to say in 2009!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Yep, and I'm going to have to pay better attention! :oops:
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)