Project - Question Please

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
masscactus

Project - Question Please

Post by masscactus »

Hello All,

So I built this today.

Fairly happy with the results considering it was, hastily, conceived and executed in about 6 hours. The plan is to cover the top, front and sides and leave the back exposed. It will be back against the porch wall staked down, racks under it obviously. This is a daytime solution that will allow me to maximize conditions; leave the plants out with a 30% chance of showers etc. The plants still come in at night to control temperature and humidity better. I think it will work well?

Q: I got this 4 mil plastic thats not quite clear, its a bit foggy. Is 4 mil too thick? Should I get something absolutely clear? If I use the foggy stuff should I remove the screening? Any suggestions, comments or advice?

Thanks much! Bryan
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Hey Bryan not bad, the 4 mil is what i belive my hubby used on our GH but ours is doubled because we have such bad winters here, also we put in windows this yr to help get more sunlight into it since the milkyness of the plastic was blocking alot of sunlight. Anyways do you move your plants into the house at night each day? Or are the outside all the time all summer long? Just wondering thats all.. :D
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Thanks. I'm not sold on this plastic, I need something better I think. Also looking at this structure I am convinced I should build another, join them, build a base and then, have a small greenhouse. :D

Plants come in at night mostly to regulate temperatures. If I build this out completely it will open the range up quite a bit.
Tony

Post by Tony »

What you are planning will certinly work.
It is very simular to what I have been doing for a few years with the exception of the solid plastic roofing that is sold at all the big home improvement centers. I recomend using it instead of the sheet plastic for the top, if you overhang it in the front and sides a bit you may not need to cover the sides at all.
Here is a shot of my winter set up. The sides roll up to get in and stay down during bad weather. Image

During the summer I remove the plastic from the sides completly, I also have window screen on the top to provide a bit more shade.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
iann

Post by iann »

It takes a while to work out how much shading you need for your plants in your yard. Is the plastic 4mil flexible sheet or 4mm stiff twinwall?
--ian
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Awesome! Thanks Tony for the reassurance. You have a nice setup, good inspiration. I have totally expanded my plans. This will become a small greenhouse by weeks end, planning another side and a base. I think I am going to do a solid top and plastic sides as you suggest. :)

Whats up with the plastic though? Daiv said he used some fairly standard contractor grade plastic. Suggestions? Also, how does one attach the plastic? I was thinking good, strategic folding, and stapling?

Bryan
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Hey Iann,

Its flexible and yes, understood. Its going to take some time and careful watching to get things just right in a new environment. Im thinking probably screen the top to start but keep sides clear and adjust from there.

Bryan
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:D :thumbup: Nice job Tony, looks AWSOME, but something like that wouldnt make it 1 winter here. :(
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

OMG! The screened in shelves are exactly what I need to protect my plants with fruit.
Tony

Post by Tony »

*Barracuda_47* wrote::D :thumbup: Nice job Tony, looks AWSOME, but something like that wouldnt make it 1 winter here. :(
Ya we got it pretty easy thats for sure. I guess 2x4's, 4x4's and polycarbonate would be more apropriate under 10 feet of snow. :lol:
These covered tables(there's 4 of them now)were originaly supposed to just be temporary, but they work so well I will be continue to use them as long as they stay together. I expect to get at least 5 years out of them.

Bryan , they sell two kinds of clear roofing, acrylic and polycarbonate.
The cheaper of the two is the acrylic, it wont last nearly as long as the poly but I have been useing it for 4+ years now on my greenhouse and it is still in great shape.
I rarely see hail here and if I do its no more that 1/4 inch, so Im not concerned with it getting cracked.
Just use the wood screws with rubber washers that they recomend using with it to attach it directly to the wood.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Wow that is the perfect set up Tony. That is exactly what I need instead of a actual green house. Awsome work, maybe you should start manufacturing them to sell too me!! :lol:
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Thanks for the input again Tony! I have been looking at both. I have a bit of experience with acrylic in other applications. Definitely expanding my plans to a small greenhouse. Very excited, I cant believe I waited this long to start something like this. :D

Anyone on the plastic questions? Staple to attach? The foggy stuff or look for something 'really' clear?

Thanks All, I appreciate it.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

You can use a plain old staple gun to attach the plastic sheeting or you can use strips of wood and screw them down to the plastic. In either case, I found that the attachment is much stronger if you can wrap the plastic around the wood. See the illustration below:

You will be fine with the "foggy" plastic and if you use that, you can lose the shade cloth - but be careful with that. The key on the plastic is UV coating. If you don't use UV coated stuff, it will disintigrate in less than a year. The UV stuff should give you at least 4 years.

A polycarb roof will be much stronger and make you much happier in the long run.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

You can also use ferring (sp?) strips. Usually about 1/4" thick and 1.5" wide and however long (8-10-12 feet) as in Daiv's illustrations, the ferring strips go between the staples/screws and the plastic. This way the staples are solid in the ferring strip and it provides a larger surface area to keep the plastic in place.
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

Excellent thanks for the input gentlemen. Was planning on wrapping and stapling - recognizing the advantage. :) Also considered doing ferring (sp?) of sorts, I'll decide as it develops. I think I have picked through just about every DIY greenhouose post looking for tidbits.

Not too worried about longevity on the plastic right now. Get through this season then re-tool for the spring. My immediate goals are building something stable, dry and bright ASAP. Looking to move in by Friday/Saturday.

Thanks again, Bryan.