Help w/ Echinocactus grusonii seedlings!

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
derf4three

Help w/ Echinocactus grusonii seedlings!

Post by derf4three »

Hello All,
1st: glad I found this forum. Looking forward to sharing and learning.

2nd and more pressing:
I have 4 Echinocactus grusonii (Golden Barrel) seedlings, approx. 1/4 - 1/2 inch tall and 2 months old. Three of the 4 are leaning over at pretty large angles and appear really light green.

I have them in a plastic propagator, they get no direct light, but a fair amount of ambient light. The propagator is inside our "mud room" that acts like a green house. I also have a heater for them at night. I live in far Northern California.

I'm worried about how far they are leaning and their pale color. My guess is a lack of chlorophyll (sunlight), so I'm considering transplanting to individual pots and putting them in more sun and heat. Is this a good idea even though they are still fairly young?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. should the seedlings be long and elongated or globose (as they appear when mature)?
monrad

Post by monrad »

I am currently raising my second batch of cactus from seed and having a great time watching them mature.

I would think sunlight would help. I have a compact flouresant lamp on my seedlings (daylight color) about a foot or so away. When mine were about your's age, I started removing the cover for a couple hours a day and gradually increased it.

My seedlings lean everywich way and are what I would call elongated. They are just starting to fill out and are closer to four months. I think I remember some that were lighter in shade also.

I should warn you, I probably lost about 20 percent so take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm sure one of the more experienced members will be able to tell you more.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I have experience killing seedlings. The only ones that I have been succesful with are those that grew up oustside as volunteers. I either gave up too soon and they dried out, I didn't give them good drainage and they drowned, the kids got to them, or something.

But speaking from what I've been told, it is important to try and use sterile soil when starting seedlings as little critters in the soil will eat the roots. This happens to larger plants too, but on the little guys it can be life threatening. This is no guarantee that this is what is happening to yours for sure, but something to keep an eye on. If you do use pestacide on them, do so very sparingly as seedlings are not tolerant to much of that either.

If you can, share a picture of your seedlings!
derf4three

I don't yet have ability to post the pics..sorry

Post by derf4three »

I'm going to call Adelphia and see if I can get webserving.

Any other ideas?
derf4three

seedling photos

Post by derf4three »

templegatejohn

Seedlings

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi there,

Your seedlings "which look very young indeed" appear to be suffering from no more than a lack of light. But you must differentiate between good light and strong sunlight which will probably kill them.

They also need some air circulation, but not draughts. If you have a north or west facing window try them close to that and make sure that they get some air around them at the same time. And of course make sure they do not dry out. if the weather is fine a good spray misting with water would help.

At the moment they seem to be leaning towards the light source.

Good luck
John
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi there,

There is definitely a lack of light as John said. But there is something else I want to ask - Why haven't you put more seeds in the same pot? Young seedlings like to be crowded and are growing even better this way for some months.

Eduart
monrad

Post by monrad »

I have read more than once that cactus seedlings like to be crowded, but I thought perhaps that was something like an old wives tale. You know, I've always done it that way, and it works so it must be true. :?

Does anyone have any theories on why this would be so? I have pricked out my seedlings while quite young (a variety of types) because of some worm problems and put four per 2 inch pot and they seem to be thriving. Really putting on some size. Maybe if I had replanted crowded they would have grown even faster?

Mark
derf4three

crowding the seedlings

Post by derf4three »

When I was reading up on planting my seedlings it only mentioned things like, "No more than 20 seeds per pot", and so I thought I had more than enough room to do 2 seedlings per 2" pot.

I'm ordering more seeds shortly and would love to know whether I should be around the 5-10 seeds per pot or even higher range?

I imagine crowding could provide support (as if it weren't up against a rock or parent)? maybe added warmth? comraderie? Furthermore, I would guess it would change from species to species.

Lastly, the previous post by monrad stated that he pulls his seedlings out at an early age. What might that early age be, approximately? I'm thinking I have at least another month. yes?

thanks all.
monrad

Post by monrad »

Derf4three,

I pricked out my seedlings at a young age because of worms in my soil. If there is no reason to prick them out now, let them grow in those 2 inch pots for a year or more. They won't outgrow them if there are only 2 seedlings per pot. Just give them plenty of difuse light and enjoy watching them.

Good luck,
Mark