newest graft has taken!

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
dustin0352

newest graft has taken!

Post by dustin0352 »

I grafted a Echinocactus horizonthalonius seedling that had only been alive for 3 days. Basicaly it was just a small green ball. In my honest opinion I thought it was to young to go under the knife, but wanted to experiment with it. I found that it definately took longer for the graft to heal/take than with older seedlings, but none the less it took and now has small spines/wool showing!! The mad scientist continues!! :happy8:

kevin63129

Post by kevin63129 »

Good job once again.
Addicted to crackti !
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Awesome!
Good job dude.
Give it a good dose of that Florida sun to bring out the nice glaucous blue color 8)
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Thanks guys! Darryl this fella will spend the winter in my grow light area, then it will find a spot in the gh in spring (if there is enough room left that is) lol
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

3 days old, wow, you've sure mastered grafting.
how long did the graft take? I'm asking this because 3 days ago I was kind of forced to start my first grafting experiment, which you can see here
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Thanks StrUktO, but I definately have not masterd grafting yet lol. I have gotten to the point of feeling comfortable when performing seedling grafts, and can almost expect a survival rate of 1 out of 2. So I guess one would say I have a 50 50 chance with each graft lol. But with grafting pups/adult plants I am worse. I have only gotten 2 out of 12, in which one of the 2 scions died off just recently.

With most of the seedling grafts I perform I can tell if they are gonna make it after 3-5 days. They arent completely healed then, but they start to bounce back from being shrivled. This particular graft took over 13 days to start looking better.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

thanks! now I (kind of) know what to expect
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Very nice! 8)
I wont give up on any graft if it never seperates completly.
I had one connect and sit all shriveled up for 6 months! But then one day it took off.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:D Awsome Dustin, looks great and will grow real well for you.. :wink:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image