starting my collection

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
clemons

starting my collection

Post by clemons »

Studies have shown for many years that the mineral helps protect children's teeth against dental and depressed, you are more likely oil mixture into the bath and throw
I was bored and I looked around the G4 forums and his location in his post was Orange County. Orange County, California is where he is currently situated. He's originally from Massachussetts thoug
It is NOT my own article I did not write it Gore's office is going to say whatever they want to say Gore is a first class know it all about nothing at all and a hypocrite of the first order at tha
The weight gain of pregnancy poses a challenge to many women. product, you can stay well informed. detoxification and fasting programs and for cleaning of
Last edited by clemons on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
like the farmer said to the tater,,i,ll plant ya now and i,ll dig ya later..
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Definately will be fine.. No way your humidity is any worse than our oppressive humidity here in SC. I have had NO problems associated with humidity with ANY of my 200+ species. Just be sure it gets FULL sun. The golden barrel LOVES it!! Also make sure it has GOOD DRAINAGE! I saw those huge ones at Lowes for $17 and change. A very good bargain for a splendid cactus!!
Bill in SC
BTW.. I thought about this subject some more. When I first got into C&S I was warned about humidity. Through actual cultivation practices I have learned that humidity is not a problem UNLESS, you have inadequate air circulation. As long as you have good air flow, and certainly outside provides this, humidity is does no harm to cacti, and probably even benefits most cacti. The key is drying time if they get damp, as in as fog situation. Keep most of your species in full sun with good ventilation, and you will see no problems develop from humidity. Also be sure to research your species to see which require partial shade during the day. I do have many: notocacti, and some Gymnocalycium, Astrophytum asterias, Obregonia denegrii, and a few miscellaneous others that require a shade cloth for afternoon sun, but humidity doesn't affect them either as long as you have the air flow.. I was scared to death when I first started cultivating cacti because of all I heard about watering and rotting, humidity, soil mix, mealie bugs, fungus, etc etc, but I have found them to be very resilient and tough, and I rarely lose one.. Heat, light, air, water, and good drainage are the keys..
Last edited by Bill in SC on Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
clemons

Post by clemons »

Thanks Bill,,yep they were 17 somthin so i got 2..i repotted to a little bigger pot and mixed some pepples an sand into some mirical gro cactus soil..they were kinda pale when i got them but seem to be greenin up some now in the sun up here but still kinda cool here but lots of sun..
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

The pebbles for good drainage is an essential. I added to my first post about humidity.. You should have great luck with them. Just make sure they don't get and stay soggy. They can take a complete drenching from rain or by hand when they are dry as long as they have good drainage..
Bill in SC
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Good info on humidity Bill.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti