A view inside my greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
John C

Post by John C »

What a great collection! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
vbforvendetta

Post by vbforvendetta »

Wow, Ralf, that is an amazing collection! :o I seriously need to show my wife your pics, she thinks I have too many! lol :lol: They really are great, some wonderful flowers on them too, I'm jealous :wink:
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Ralf,
I wonder how I missed your collection pics?

I just wish I could have my plants so well organized. I dont have as many in pots as you do, but my yard is a cluttered mess. :oops: :roll: Oh well I am making a prickly pear area tho! (Opuntia is one of my favorite species) I am going to keep an eye on the E. engelmannii for you :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Thanks!
vbforvendetta wrote:Wow, Ralf, that is an amazing collection! :o
It's a small collection on very limited space and that's amazing, the plants aren't amazing. :lol:
vbforvendetta wrote:I seriously need to show my wife your pics, she thinks I have too many! lol :lol:
You should show your wife my greenhouse. Then she would see that you've not too many. :wink:
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
vbforvendetta

Post by vbforvendetta »

I surely will, Ralf! I like how you've used square pots so when put together they look almost like one bed! Was that the idea, or did you just have loads of square pots?
I got a greenhouse last year at the end of summer, my cacti are seeming to like it. I hope in time they all flower and grow well :)
Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism. We are the vandals.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

I have long time tries how to use best of the limited space. After a while I do found the best solution with square pots. I like it to arranged it like one bed. Under and between the pots is sand to have the same height at the surface of the pots.
But the sand have also a advantage, it stores the water what is to much during watering and run out of the pots. So it get a mild humidity into the pots for a long time.
To find this out I do use many years and tests.
More of my collection you'll find at my website. If you've any questions, feel free.
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.

floyd

Post by floyd »

WOW IS RIGHT!! What a variety and thanks for sharing. Although not even close to your collection, I thought I would share some recent photos of my greenhouse project and cactus collection.

IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262 ... -10-12.jpg[/IMG]
Lets Grow Cacti!!
cactuslee

Post by cactuslee »

wow, what nice collections. makes mine look like a micro collection. thought i had quite a few till i see yours. you guys have some pretty massive collections going there. very nice.
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

What makes a cactus freak when it's boring?

iann

Post by iann »

That looks well insulated. Did it turn cold?
--ian
masscactus

Post by masscactus »

I missed this somehow - that Gymno spread is really fantastic - all of them are but man that made me smile! Really nice collection, great stuff Ralf. Always interesting to see others setups. I space my pots to allow air to circulate up and around but I love that sprawling look, like one giant tray with compartments for individuals! :D
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Thanks Bryan, but I like a good overview in my collection. All genera are seperate arranged. So it's easier to find a plant which I'm searching for. :wink:

@iann
Oh no, not cold but somewhat dirty. The plants are covered that they don't get dirty.

left the NEW and right the old

so I left it yesterday evening

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ahh! It's a rebuild project!

But is it getting bigger too? I think 4X larger would be good for a year or two, no? :D
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Not bigger Daiv, only better! With the new roof it get a better insulation for the winter. And it is better permeable to light (91%) and UV radiation. So I hope the plants get a stronger spination and blossom better and more. :wink:
daiv wrote:I think 4X larger would be good for a year or two, no?
You don't know me, maybe a half year. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Now it's finished! I'm very happy about the new roof. \:D/
The man who made the roof is also a cacti collector. So he know exactly what the best is.