Ouch!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
CelticRose

Ouch!

Post by CelticRose »

My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

wow that really sucks
i would hate to be him
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

EGADS!!!! :shock:

I know how bad it was to get just ONE stem segment stuck to you. I would like to hear how the removal process went. The best that I found was to cut the spines off and then remove the spines individually. This mostly prevents getting restuck again and again.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

it looks like the into to a cactus horror film
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

EMT guy1: (while reaching for a golf club) Take a deep breathe and hold still.
Cholla guy: Huh?
WHACK!!
EMT guy2: Good shot! Now we won't have to hear a grown man cry!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Ha ha!Darryl, I was thinking that if there ever was an appropriate time for a grown man to cry, this would be it! :cry:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Neko Bazu

Post by Neko Bazu »

Sweet holy-! :shock:

Bet he won't go near one of those again in a hurry...
Sometimes, the world makes more sense when viewed upside-down...

Carpe cerevisiam, carpe dementum, carpe solum!
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

I remember going out to Joshua Tree National Monument for a day with a OB Gynecology fellow from the University of Southern California. When we reached the jumping teddy bear Cholla patch he offhandedly kicked at one of the joints to get it off the path. Those spines went right through his leather shoe. We spent the next hour plus cutting the spines off the joint, carefully working the shoe off his foot and finally using a pair of pliers to pull out the remaining barbs. It was a very bloody and painful learning experience for him.

What that man with the entire patch of them on his back was about to experience would be a wee bit of triple distilled Hell right here on Earth.
“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
― Brigid Brophy
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Neat plant, pretty flowers (I seem to remember) but those things can stay in the wild wild west as far as I am concerned! Too many curious children and wayward pets in my neighborhood, not to mention clusy ol' me!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

daiv wrote:I would like to hear how the removal process went. The best that I found was to cut the spines off and then remove the spines individually. This mostly prevents getting restuck again and again.
I would too. I'm not sure what to make of those EMTs -- do they really think those thin gloves are going to protect their hands?
Harriet wrote:Neat plant, pretty flowers (I seem to remember) but those things can stay in the wild wild west as far as I am concerned! Too many curious children and wayward pets in my neighborhood, not to mention clusy ol' me!
Around here, they recommend planting those under windows to deter burglers.
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
John C

Post by John C »

OUCH!!! :shock:
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Ocotillo

Post by Ocotillo »

Words fail me.....

When I was a kid, builders would landscape new houses with bigelovii. None of us ever ended up that bad off though..
TimN

Post by TimN »

They call them "jumping" cholla, but that's ridiculous. That guy obviously made a special effort to be stupid.

Ouch!

Harriet, after a while you get used to not kicking or stepping on anything but gravel, ever!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
vlani

Post by vlani »

I'm sure he has died of the consequences.
PoC

Post by PoC »

Oof. I remember falling as a kid and accidentally clutching a cladode of teddy bear cholla like a baseball with the spikes going all the way through my fingers. There were landscapers in the neighborhood who offered to pull it out but instead I went to the doctor's where 5 people held me down and they yanked out the chunk with the equivalent of barbecue tongs! :P Lots more blood and pain that day...that guy must have been in for some serious glochid removal and itchiness afterwards.