E. acunensis flowers, Mexico

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
peterb

E. acunensis flowers, Mexico

Post by peterb »

One of the many high points of this little trip was yesterday visiting habitat for Echinomastus erectocentrus acunensis near Sonoyta. I figured they might be in flower a week or two ahead of the Florence population and it was indeed the leading edge of the flowering period.

Under Bursera microphylla:
Nice Mammillaria grahamii in flower too, slightly ahead of the Ajo plants:

More acunensis:
tons of dead plants, but this population in general healthier than the one in Florence:

A strategy for success: flowering at a young age. This one perhaps 4-6 years old:

Some flower color variation either due to age of the flower or just different pigments, with some dramatic differences in stigma color too.

This form seems to appreciate the hotter temps of this habitat. Much more robust than the population near Florence. It's true that there has been grazing near Florence, too, so that could be a contributing factor. Here, though, the plants even occur from time to time on north facing slopes, never the case in the Florence habitat. They also seem to prefer more nurse plants here.

Anyway, happy vernal equinox all, and good growing.

peterb
Zone 9
bruno

Post by bruno »

Hi Peter, thanks for all these pics and info
ciao
bruno
iann

Post by iann »

Echinomastus fuscostigmensis?
--ian
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

nice flowers
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
peterb

Post by peterb »

The stigmas are the best, well, in contrast to the bright yellow anthers and the combinations of petaloid colors, sepals, etc. :-)

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Flowers are fantastic Peter! Nice job on the timing.
Anyway, happy vernal equinox all, and good growing.
Forgot about that. So today we all get to enjoy the same day length.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tony

Post by Tony »

Beautiful, seems like you planned it just right. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Very cool, peterb! Thanks for putting together all of these southern Arizona (and northern Mexico)threads. I am especially digging the shots of the lesser-seen cacti--Cory recurvata and robustispina and, of course, these Echinomastus acunensis. Dis you come across any more Peniocereus striatus on this trip?
peterb

Post by peterb »

Unfortunately not, Greg. That cactus friend of mine and I were looking for P. striatus near Sells, but to no avail. It was cool to find Mammillaria mainiae, though.

You definitely live in a great part of Arizona, man!

peterb
Zone 9
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Awesome!!
Great pics, Peter. Great timing too.

Happen to have GPS for the area? ;)
peterb

Post by peterb »

Ha, definitely have GPS, but it's *top secret*. Starting to put some data together for a population study. Basically, every plant I photographed has its own marker and is cross referenced according to size, slope and other details. There's a marker for every dead plant I found as well. I guess I could divulge the coordinates for the dead ones. :-)

peterb
Zone 9
Waxsimulacra08

Post by Waxsimulacra08 »

Peter,

how safe have you felt going down to Mexico these days?

I was planning on taking a SW roadtrip this summer and wanted to get to Mexico, but have been warned by numerous Americans and Mexicans alike that the violence is pretty bad down there.

I was thinking of going to Nuevo Leon.
Please visit my forum The Earth Garden.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

We've discussed this before and I think Peter and I both agree that Mexico is very safe when you get away from the border and tourist towns. It is the combination of outsiders with money and locals with drugs that sparks the conflicts.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Waxsimulacra08

Post by Waxsimulacra08 »

Thanks Daiv :)
Please visit my forum The Earth Garden.
peterb

Post by peterb »

I have never had any trouble in Mexico, and have traveled by car in Sonora as far south as Tastiota and in Baja as far south as Loreto. I have heard that mountain passes are dangerous in some spots and it does seem that the border zone is the worst, roughly 75 miles south or so and especially in urban centers such as Tijuana, Juarez, Ojinaga, Nogales, etc. Common sense precautions have probably helped. We are never ostentatious there. I drive a 1991 Honda Civic that is beat up. We never take laptops or equipment other than cameras. We don't stay in the cities, except for Tecate which seems more low key and not as "on edge." We also have not stayed in very remote areas.

I have heard only a very few reliable reports of first hand experiences of violence or criminal behavior. Most of what we hear about is violence perpetrated by drug gangs against other drug gangs. There is generally no interest in committing crimes against Americans.

peterb
Zone 9