Coryphantha echinus

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
peterb

Coryphantha echinus

Post by peterb »

I was looking over the photos of Coryphantha echinus here on the guide and it seems there is something odd about both of Ed Utley's plants. I'm not entirely sure either photo is of echinus. The photo of the plant from Dagger Flat, for example, or from Tony's collection, etc., these are classic echinus. My photo from Brewster County we went around a few times on, with my reference to the obscure name Coryphantha scloymoides in Weniger's book (he has it under Mammillaria). Any opinions on the two photos from Ed?

peterb
Zone 9
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

that first pic to me looks a little different with hooked central spines but i'm not very good at identifying cactus
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
MildBill

Post by MildBill »

Ancistrocactus brevihamatus v. brevihamatus I think.
Bill
iann

Post by iann »

Don't look like C. echinus do they. Altogether not enough spines and that central seems too hooked.
--ian
peterb

Post by peterb »

Interesting! I hadn't even considered Ancistrocactus brevihamatus for Ed's first photo, and that's what it seems to be. Cool.

Ed's second photo, I'm still not sure. It seems like a very young plant. A puzzler.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi guys, I moved Ed's first picture. If the other picture continues to be elusive, I will pull it off the site to avoid confusion.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti