Family plant from circa 1900

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
tmomeyer

Family plant from circa 1900

Post by tmomeyer »

Hi,

I’m hoping someone can identify the attached plant. I looked at Christmas cactus images on the internet and there is a resemblance, but different in many ways.

Similarity: There are segmented leaves (or ??) possibly similar to the Christmas cactus (but not as "flat/thin") as ones that I looked at.

Difference: Long round stems/branches with leaves (??) coming off at intervals. All the Christmas cacti that I looked at had ONLY flat leaf growth.

Difference: Triangular sections of stems/branches.

Difference: Triangular sections that grow off the stems/branches, some purplish/reddish color.

The plants that I have came as cuttings from another plant that was “in the family” circa 1900 in western Pennsylvania. The person that sent me the cuttings said “beautiful red flowers will come eventually” and also said “my grandma… put this plant outside from May to Oct and then had it in an enclosed porch during the winter with the porch providing plenty of sunlight. In 1943 she had so many blooms that she called the paper to come take a picture of it.”

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I think it is an Epiphyllum, but there are so many species and hybrids I would not hazard a guess as to which one. Whatever it is, the blooms will be lovely.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

Likely to be Epiphyllum "Ackermannii". It should flower freely in good light.
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I don't know what species it is, but I find the history behind it fascinating. That would be cool if you could find the 1943 newspaper article.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

It is most likely Disocactus x hybridus:

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... 20hybridus
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
tmomeyer

Re: Family plant from circa 1900

Post by tmomeyer »

tmomeyer wrote:Hi,

I’m hoping someone can identify the attached plant. I looked at Christmas cactus images on the internet and there is a resemblance, but different in many ways.
Thanks for the responses. Would like to mail cuttings to a relative. Info I found said to provide cuttings approx 6" long, cut at a segment. Is that right at the narrowest point in the flat branches / leaves or maybe 1/2" or so below? Send 4 to 6 cuttings should do it, correct (goal is one potted plant)? Cut and place right away in ziplocked bag and mail in a box with packing material? NH to OH in December, is cold weather OK?

Thanks, Tom
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

You've got the gist of it. Allow 3-5 days for the cuts to dry before packing. I'd avoid placing them in plastic bags, paper bags or wrapped in newspaper is a better alternative. Plastic bags trap moisture and could rot the plants as they travel, doubly so if they haven't been allowed to dry prior.

There are heat packs you can purchase that will keep the cuttings warm for up to 72 hrs. I don't think Epi cuttings will fair well in the dead of winter in your area.
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

I think it's best to cut just (1/4"-1/2") below the narrowest point of the segments, so you avoid cutting where the roots will come from.

Just my two cents :)

-R
tmomeyer

Post by tmomeyer »

Here's the cactus in bloom. Last summer it was outside in full sun (probably not a good idea), inside for the winter, and in mid-May 2011 it went to an unheated porch that received partial sun. It now (July 10) has approx 5-6 blossoms, with one in full bloom. The flower is approx 5" across (diameter) x approx 3" in length. Someone said, "Likely to be Epiphyllum "Ackermannii." What do you think?

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

This is it:

http://www.cactiguide.com/cactus/?genus ... x+hybridus

Notes should prove helpful. "Nobody" is growing a true D. ackermanii unless they specifically sought out that species.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti