Aloe cuttings

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
tillie

Aloe cuttings

Post by tillie »

Okay, my aloe that wouldn't stand upright has root rot. I shook all the dirt off of it and started carving away at the outer leaves, and I have 5 leaves now of various sizes. There really were no roots left. I dipped them in a rooting hormone and I'm waiting for them to callous over... Somewhere else I have cuttings of three different kinds of crassula and some type of hawthorn.

I've been wanting to learn how to grow from cuttings for quite awhile, and this is obviously the perfect oppertunity for me. I'm a shut-in and my succulents mean nearly the world to me, and I'll live if I lose one but I want to do everything I can to try and save this one.

I've never done anything with a cutting before, so let me get this straight: I put it in some soil and wait and wait and wait?

Any one have any detailed report on this I should see? I've looked all day. Things growing from cuttings seems pretty sci-fi and it's hard for me to believe I'm doing anything right...

Sorry I'm so full of questions, I'd PM someone but I'm hoping my questions can help someone else.
templegatejohn

Aloe cuttings

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Tillie,

Sorry about the plant, But these things happen to the best growers.

Crassulas, Sempervivums and Echeverias will all grow a plant from a single leaf. just lay the leaf on top of some moist (but not wet) sand (don't plant it just lay it on top) and usually within two or three weeks you can see small roots starting to grow from where the leaf was attached to the original plant and eventually a small plant will start to grow in the same area. Leave the original leaf attached to the plant (it will eventually dry up and drop off).

As far as your Aloe goes I have never tried with them, they are usually divided up to make small plants, but hey have a go, you've got nothing to lose. Try cutting one of the leaves in half and using the top half as a cutting.

If anyone has any more advise give Tillie a post.

Let me know how you get on Tillie.

John
mep

Post by mep »

Hi, Tillie
Yes, aloe will grow from leaf cuttings the way John explained for other succulent leaves, only don't cut the leaf in half. The part of the leaf that connected to the stem is where the new growth will happen. Have that part just touch the damp sand, and (you were right) wait and wait and wait, but it will happen. You'll get more plants. Once you get plants, remember where they came from - the deserts of southern Africa, the Arabian penninsula, they do not want water. Unglazed clay pots, quick draining soil with some lava rock and gravel added, and let them get dry between watering. Most aloe enjoy a lot of sun, too. What kind of aloe are you growing? Check out the Institute for Aloe Studies web site for wonderful pictures. Good luck! Margaret
Yours in peace