Albuca spiralis

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Harriet

Albuca spiralis

Post by Harriet »

Went a little crazy (some would say "crazier" :wink:) and started ordering stuff for spring. One of the plants is an Albuca spiralis. I believe it to be a winter grower, and I love the spirals, but I am sorely lacking any other information about its care.

I'm especially interested in how much water it requires during the summer (dormant?) season, whether it wants a deep or shallow pot, and, of course, the soil it likes...

It has not arrived yet, so I'm trying to prepare for it. Any and all advice is welcome ... please?!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

It is a winter growing bulb, Harriet, I think you probably have a number of them. In any case, a little water, every now and then in the hot months, and water like crassula and other winter growing succulents in the cooler months. It will probably lose its leaves when the weather turns hot and then start growing them when it feels like it. Start the water then.
Buck Hemenway
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Only sad thing about this plant is that it may/will loose its leaves until next winter, and I won't know if it is alive or not until then! eeek!

Does it want cactus type soil mix?
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Cactus mix will be good. Don't worry about it. Just a light watering every 3 to 4 weeks and it will do fine.
Buck Hemenway
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

What? Me worry?

Thanks Buck!
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Agreed 100% with Buck. Mine is in a normal (i.e., not shallow) clay pot, with a standard succulent soil. Once the leaves/flower stalk appear, I water it daily. In a month or two, the leaves will start to fade, and I'll cut back fairly quickly on the watering.

As Buck implied, this is a pretty easy grower, so don't do an Alfred E. Neuman :)

-R
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Thanks Robert.

What do you consider "standard" succulent soil? We have beaten cactus mixes to death, but not so much the "succulent" mixes. My non-cactus succulents seem to do fine in the mix I use for cactus, but I'm guessing many succulents want a little more organic matter in the mix? Or am I just imagining things again?
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

No, you're absolutely right.

I started using a "standard" succulent mix of 2 parts Scotts Topsoil to 1 part washed Napa 8822 last spring, and it worked out better than I expected. I think maybe in your more humid climate, there's less need to make a distinction between soil that's appropriate for cacti and soil that's appropriate for succulents.

-R